Re-pitching yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovesIPA

Reaction score
I thought you could do this. Maybe I did it wrong?

I harvested 3-4 jars of yeast slurry from a prior batch about a week before brewing my last batch. They were in the fridge the whole time.

Two days ago I brewed and pitched about 300 ml of slurry which should be plenty for a 5 gallon batch. I shook it up and when I checked on it 24 hours later, the airlock was not moving. There was no krausen at all and no activity.

I know what everyone says - airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation. However, every other batch I've brewed has always started fermenting in that time frame. This batch was in a sealed glass carboy - not a bucket - so there was no air escaping from a loose bucket lid.

Yesterday I decided that I'd better pitch some dry yeast I had on hand rather than wait around long enough for an infection to develop.

I also tried pitching slurry once before. It did start fermenting after considerable lag (< 24 hours), but it was verrrrrrrrry slow. It finally finished but I was a little worried. That slurry had only been in the fridge for a day or so.

So can you not just re-pitch yeast slurry? Is there more to it than that?

I just pitched 100 ml slurry that's two weeks old with a half liter startes and she was very aggresive within couple hours and at fg within 5 days. Maybe you shoulda waited or maybe something happend when you were washing.

I believe its best to use slurries in a starter due to their dormant state (cold and minimal oxygen) after being rinsed. Warm them up gradually and put them in some dissolved DME (500-1000 ml) and let them get busy! then after a day or two they should have multiplied enough to do the job you need.

I think rinsed yeast have insufficient numbers without being given time to reproduce in a starter. A classic example of under pitching.

Yeah... I skipped the starter. Will have to remember it's not an optional step in the future.

Do you harvest yeast from higher alcohol beers without any ill effects?

Higher alcohol beers will stress the yeast, so it will reduce the number of times that yeast can be re-used without issues. You can always split your starter, and use 1/2 the yeast in a new starter for the high OG beer, then save the rest for a low gravity and re-use that. Always use a calculator to estimate the proper yeast amount.

So can you not just re-pitch yeast slurry? Is there more to it than that?

Lots of folks, including me, re-pitch slurry (both rinsed or un-rinsed depending on the situation) with zero issues.

I usually over-pitch by about 10-20% (above the Mr. Malty recommendation). If it's pretty fresh and I have enough of it, I'll not do a starter. Otherwise, I do.

I repitch yeast slurry all the time following mr malty volumes (maybe a bit more). No starters ever. I use only US-05 yeast. I only harvest yeast from batches under 1.055 OG, moderately hopped, and if dry hoping a batch I want to harvest, I use a secondary and dry hop in there...harvest from primary. Normally I'd not bother with a secondary on a moderate or lower gravity beer.

I also only use slurry when the previous batch comes in clean.
That means there is usually a month lag or more between harvesting slurry and using the harvested slurry.

Alcohol content plays a role in yeast viability. Check out Woodlandbrew's blog about it here -> link

I pitched two pints of slurry from a wheat beer two weeks after collection and it worked like a champ. All I did was boiled my two pint mason jars, swirled the trub after racking the wheat beer, and pouring the trub into the pint jars. I sealed the jars and put them into the fridge. On the next beer, I let the pint jars warm to room temperature and poured the slurry through a sanitized strainer to catch as much hops gunk as possible.

Back