Need some input on coconut in a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb619

Reaction score
I am going to be making a coconut stout. I am looking for a creamy coconut flavor. Looking for all the input I can get. I was planning on doing 1 lb of coconut in last 15 of boil the put 1 lb of toasted coconut in secondary. This is going to be a 5 gallon batch. Thanks for all input!

I have used pounds of coconut in a yellow fizzy brew and had NO luck. I have even toasted it and still nothing. IMHO if you want that flavor make your beer and add 1oz at a time of Malibu to taste.

I have heard of some using the coconut syrup that coffee shops use. I might try that. Boil a pound then add syrup to secondary for flavoring. I will keep you all updated.

I just did a coconut porter. Added 1 1/2 pounds of toasted flaked coconut and a few sliced vanilla beans to the secondary after 2 weeks, left them in there for a week. Came out tasting amazing! Has a nice chocolaty/coconut finish, definitely noticeable. Just kegged it though, not sure how long the flavor will last...

I put the toasted coconut in a canning jar packed tightly then cover with a couple oz. of vodka. Let it sit a couple of days and add it to the keg in a muslin bag liquid and all. Won a BOS with a coconut porter using this technique.

Back