why no crystal in IPA's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserghost

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people say they don't like crystal in IPA's – or any sweetness. What is your grain bill? Why no sweetness?

I have rarely come across an IPA I didn't like, and so I'm wondering what IPA's don't have any crystal and what it is you're going for.

I really love Green Flash West Coast IPA, Sculpin IPA, Deviant Dales IIPA, Founders Centennial, Boulder's Mojo, Sweetwater IPA, Racer 5, Sierra Torpedo IPA, Lagunitas ... really, any IPA almost.

What doesn't have crystal? What are you doing?

I'm probably the exception to the rule, because I do like a subtle amount of sweetness in my IPA's. I use crystal in a few of my recipes.

Crystal is one of those malts you want to be careful with especially in ipas. I like to use a little crystal 10 in my IPA for body but minimal color contribution. Admittedly crystal 10 adds a bit more sweetness than say 60, but I think a light handed appropriate use of crystal in an ipa can be nice.

Where brewers get in trouble is using a bit too much and taking away from the hops. The point of an ipa is to let the hops shine, and crystal can easily overwhelm your beer and give inappropriate sweetness.

I think I am the exception too. I like the sweet to balance out the hops. I know that some will say "the point of an IPA is to be unbalanced and hop forward" and thats fine for them. I brew what I like. My last grain bill:

43.48% Maris Otter Malt
43.48% Pale Malt
6.52% Flaked Wheat
4.35% Crystal 60
2.17% Honey Malt

Here is the whole thing if you are interested :D

Original Gravity (OG): 1.080 (°P): 19.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.020 (°P): 5.1
Alcohol (ABV): 7.86 %
Colour (SRM): 10.4 (EBC): 20.5
Bitterness (IBU): 81.5 (Average)

43.48% Maris Otter Malt
43.48% Pale Malt
6.52% Flaked Wheat
4.35% Crystal 60
2.17% Honey Malt

0.1 oz/Gal Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort)
0.3 oz/Gal Citra (13.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 oz/Gal Galaxy (12% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 oz/Gal Citra (13% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 oz/Gal Galaxy (12% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 oz/Gal Citra (13% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
0.3 oz/Gal Galaxy (12% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
0.3 oz/Gal Citra (13% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)
0.3 oz/Gal Galaxy (12% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

0.3 oz/Gal Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 64°F with Safale US-05

Yeah, I can understand being cautious with the crystal, but I think every single commercial IPA I listed uses a bit of crystal (this is merely pure assumption).

It depends on the beer, and the bittering and hopping.

I have one beer, my DFH 60 minute clone that uses no crystal at all.

Then I have another beer, a Surly Furious type clone, that uses 11% crystal malt in the grainbill.

Both are fabulous. They are just very different.

The first is crisp and dry with great hops flavor.

The second is full and rich with great hops flavor.

They are just different.

Try the same basic recipe, do like 80% base malt, 15% munich or victory and 5% crystal in one, and 5% vienna in the other. I think you will like both, they will both add some sweetness, but a little different. I always like warrior for bitter and a combination of amarillo and simcoe for flavor and aroma and citra at dry hop.

thanks for all the great responses. i'm looking forward to trying a bunch of ingredients experiments, but there's just so much to brew and so little time!

Back