Kiwit: Belgian Strong or Weihenstephan Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarron

Reaction score
So I'm looking to brew a kiwit. Most recipes call for a wit yeast, but I want to brew soon and that is not an option. Well it is, but I'm up for a challenge. The two belgian strains I do have are Wyeast Belgian Strong and Weihenstephan Weizen. I have experience with both strains so that is not an issue, what I'm trying to decide is which yeast would go better in a kiwit, and what yeast would allow me to serve this beer in about a month's time. The time limit is because we'll be having a new baby girl in a month and I want it on tap for my wife and the rest of the family. The og will probably be around mid 1.050's and I'm planning on adding the kiwi in the secondary.

So, my question is, which strain would you use, and do you think it would be ready to serve in a month? Thanks for your help.

So I'm looking to brew a kiwit. Most recipes call for a wit yeast, but I want to brew soon and that is not an option. Well it is, but I'm up for a challenge. The two belgian strains I do have are Wyeast Belgian Strong and Weihenstephan Weizen. I have experience with both strains so that is not an issue, what I'm trying to decide is which yeast would go better in a kiwit, and what yeast would allow me to serve this beer in about a month's time. The time limit is because we'll be having a new baby girl in a month and I want it on tap for my wife and the rest of the family. The og will probably be around mid 1.050's and I'm planning on adding the kiwi in the secondary.

So, my question is, which strain would you use, and do you think it would be ready to serve in a month? Thanks for your help.

A wit isnt really a wit without a wit yeast. Weizen yeasts make a beer quickly, easily in a month even if you bottle condition. I don't know that anyone can safely tell you which will taste better without making it first.

Back