Switched from droid to iPhone - need app advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billr1

Reaction score
So I've just made the switch from a Droid to an iPhone (God I hated my Samsung Droid - couldn't make or receive calls from inside pretty much *any* building!) and am finding that the brewing apps I used on the Droid aren't available in the i-world. So I could use some advice on what apps to get (preferably freebies but I'm willing to shell out a little coin where necessary). I'll list below what apps I was using (and for what) but I should also note that I'm planning on downloading Beersmith on for my laptop soon (and I'm guessing I'll want the app once I do that) so if that will cover all these tasks, please let me know.
Here's what I was using before:

Brewr: This has been my go-to for building and tweaking recipes ("hmm...what does the IBU come out to if I move that addition back to 15 minutes?" And "what will the color be if I use Crystal 60 instead of 40?" and such). Plus it's handy for referencing back to (e.g. someone's tasting one of our beers and wants to know what kind of yeast we used, I can look it up easily on my phone).

Home Brew Calculators: I mostly used this one just for computing strike water temperature. It is just a simple intuitive calculator and kind of became habit.

Brewzor Calculator: I mostly just used this one for the refractometer compensation calculator. Again, simple and handy.

So if anyone can recommend any iPhone apps that will cover these tasks I'd greatly appreciate it!

I've used Brewpal and Beer Alchemy. Beer Alchemy is more of a full blown app, but Brewpal is what I use on brew day. There are several in the App Store that also look interesting - iBrewMaster2 for example. It kind of depends on how you want to use them.

Thanks for the tips! I will check into them. I did come across one called "Brewcalc" which has a refractometer conversion function so that will come in handy. I punched a few gravities from past brews into it and it came out slightly off what the refractometer app I previously used came up with but it's pretty close (may just be a difference in how it rounds numbers?). Also found a couple others that seemed workable - one called BIABCalc which has a nice strike temp calculator, and a couple different recipe building apps (BrewMe and BFFree) - neither of which I've had a chance to really try out yet.

I use iBrewMaster and love it. It's about $10 but worth it IMO. It's got recipe calculators, brewday tools and an inventory function which I live by.

BeerAlchemy. Especially if you're a Mac user as well. It's the only software I've ever used as beer smith wasn't on Mac back when I started. I downloaded the beer smith 2 trial and as soon as I opened it I knew that I'd be sticking with beerAlchemy. Much more intuitive and actually designed for a Mac.

Back