Svijanský Máz Lager Clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlco25

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for some assistance, I would like to make Svijanský Máz clone, it is an excellent beer from the moravia region in the Czech Republic. I have been researching online including some of my Czech friends without avail. I am aware some of the ingredients are hard to find for example the Svijanský brewery uses moravian malted barley and I have not found it here in the USA.

Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jorge
16179126130_dc1aab2596_b.jpg

That's going to be a tough one because the malt is probably either malted at the brewery or local for them. Also the yeast is likely proprietary. But a start would probably be Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt or their floor malted Bohemian Pilsner malt, Saaz hops, and a Czech Lager yeast. It's difficult to say whether they employ a long and arduous decoction mash regimen or not.

Good luck.

According to their website they use malt from local malthouses, perform a double decoction and use Saaz hops exclusively and hop to 30 IBUs. It's a traditional lager fermentation in open, square vats followed by lagering in horizontal tanks. Unfortunately this is the only beer from this brewery where they also use refined sugars as a cheap adjunct... :confused:
As for finding ingredients in the USA:

- you can use Weyermann bohemian malt. Use floor malt if you'd like a lower quality malt...
- Saaz hops, not a problem
- table sugar, sure, but do you really have to??
- use any commercially available bohemian yeast from any vendor, the "proprietary yeast" advertising blurb is probably BS anyway...

Use corn sugar if you don't like table. I doubt the sugar is for cost savings and I would think it has more to due with lightening the body. The use of sugar does not automatically = cheap look at some of the amazing Belgium beers for example.
If you want to bypass the decoction you could add a little melanoidin malt (2 to 4 oz) it won't be exact but will get you in the ball park anyway. You will probably need to make this several times to zero in on the grain, hop, and yeast combo and then after that you can put the work into the decoction if you have the energy to do so.

I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions so once you nail this bad boy down please post the recipe as I would love to have me some of this!

Use corn sugar if you don't like table. I doubt the sugar is for cost savings and I would think it has more to due with lightening the body. The use of sugar does not automatically = cheap look at some of the amazing Belgium beers for example.
Those are expensive, processed candi sugars and they still have no place in a traditional Czech beer just as a lighter body is totally out of place here. If they're adding simple refined sugars it's definitely only because of cost.

So far this is the recipe I have build in Beersmith.
Recipe: Svijanský Máz Fraternal Twin
Style: Czech Premium Pale Lager
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 15.56 gal
Post Boil Volume: 14.06 gal
Batch Size (FV1 Unitank): 13.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 12.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
25.00 gal Distilled Water
10.00 ml Lactic Acid (Mash)
5.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)
5.00 g Baking Soda (Mash)
5.00 g Calcium Carbonate (Chalk) (Mash)
5.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash)
20 lbs Weyermann® hand-crafted floor-malted Bohemian Pilsner (1.3 SRM)
5 lbs 4.0 oz Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
2.1 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
4.00 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min 20.7 IBUs -
3.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 30.0 min 13.9 IBUs -
3.00 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min 7.7 IBUs -
4.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs -
3.0 pkg Czech Budejovice Lager (White Labs #WLP802) [35. Yeast 15 - -

Total Grain Weight: 25 lbs 10.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Dough-In Add 9.69 gal of water at 126.6 F 120.5 F 5 min
Protein Rest Add 0.00 gal of water at 122.0 F 122.0 F 20 min
Dextrinization Rest - b-amylase Add 0.00 gal of water at 140.0 F 140.0 F 40 min
Dextrinization Rest - a-amylase Add 0.00 gal of water at 155.0 F 155.0 F 30 min
Mash Out Add 0.00 gal of water at 165.0 F 165.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Continuous sparge with 9.00 gal water at 168.0 F

I'd do away with the Crystal Malt, you don't want the roasty notes.
WLP802 is a veritable diacetyl bomb, does the original have detectable diacetyl? If not then you're probably better off with WLP800.

Baking soda and chalk in the mash water? What's your reasoning for that? The chalk won't do anything for you and the baking soda is just going to raise your pH, which you don't want to do for a pale lager.

He's got lactic acid in there so he'll actually just be neutralizing the acid and making sodium lactate which is quite pointless.

He's got lactic acid in there so he'll actually just be neutralizing the acid and making sodium lactate which is quite pointless.
I am just following the water profile suggestion from beersmith3? When I selected match water profile to Pilsen Czech Republic those were the automatic salts and acid suggestions provided by the software...
I welcome all suggestions

Baking soda and chalk in the mash water? What's your reasoning for that? The chalk won't do anything for you and the baking soda is just going to raise your pH, which you don't want to do for a pale lager.
I am just following the water profile suggestion from beersmith3?

Back