Survey: Welded fittings or DIY Weldless ball valve/thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm getting ready to buy my brew pot, and I'm going back-and-forth mainly due to cost on if I should buy a pot that already has welded fittings or if I should buy the standard pot and drill my own holes and use weldless.

From overall survey out there and like to hear both sides of what you guys have and what works.

The idea of drilling a hole in my new pot seems nerve-racking and very unforgiving if it is not correct.

Is it as hard as it seems? What's yawls experience? Thanks a lot guys.

I drill or greenlee punch all of my stainless steel vessels and silver-solder the tri-clamp ferrules. Works like a charm...

What type of drill do you use and how do you keep it from rolling around?

What is a Greenlee punch?

And when you say silver Solder I am assuming that that is a regular soldering iron?

Lastly are you soldering the inside or the outside of the pot

I have purchased all welded ports. They were spike kettles. They were quite reasonable for what they were. Sure it was a little more expensive but easier to clean and less chance of leakage/failure during a brewday.

What type of drill do you use and how do you keep it from rolling around?
I use a step bit to drill the appropriately sized hole. I built a small stand with scrap 2x4s.

What is a Greenlee punch?
This
And when you say silver Solder I am assuming that that is a regular soldering iron?
BobbyM has an excellent write-up on the process. A standard propane torch is adequate.

I will say that if you are doing one vessel, one time, this process isn't worth it. I've modified dozens of devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back