Summer IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'd like to brew up an IPA for this summer. I've brewed several hop-forward beers before, but haven't actually done anything I would consider an IPA, so any feedback on this recipe would be appreciated. I'd like to use the hops currently in my freezer. Please note the smaller-than-usual batch size (3.75 gallons).

Batch Size: 3.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %

Grist
6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Ale Malt - 78.8 %
1 lbs Pilsner Malt - 12.1 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 6.1 %
4.0 oz Carahell (13 L) - 3.0 %

Hops
0.35 oz Citra [12.30 %] - 60.0 min - 28.5 IBUs
0.5 oz Cascade [6.10 %] -20.0 min - 6.7 IBUs
0.5 oz Citra [12.30 %] - 20.0 min - 13.4 IBUs
0.5 oz Cascade [6.10 %] - 10.0 min - 4.0 IBUs
0.5 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - 1.0 min - 5.0 IBUs
0.5 oz Motueka [7.10 %] - 1.0 min - 3.8 IBUs
0.5 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - Dry Hop
0.5 oz Motueka [7.10 %] - Dry Hop

Yeast
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Mash Schedule
Single Infusion, 150°F, Batch sparge

Yes!

I am one of the few who don't really like citra, but I do like it in combination with other hops. I really like the looks of that beer, and I think it will turn out great.

Yes!

I am one of the few who don't really like citra, but I do like it in combination with other hops. I really like the looks of that beer, and I think it will turn out great.

Thanks, Yoop! (I was hoping you would chime in)

I'm not questioning your methods, I just want to understand: why the additions at 1 minute and then dry hopping also. What's the benefit in doing this as opposed to only dry hopping these amounts?

I'm not questioning your methods, I just want to understand: why the additions at 1 minute and then dry hopping also. What's the benefit in doing this as opposed to only dry hopping these amounts?

Dry hopping, done at fermentation temps, gives different aroma than hops added late in the kettle when temps are still boiling (or near boiling if added at flame-out). Both types of additions will provide excellent aroma qualities to a beer, but the dry hops adds an element of "freshness" that is missing from kettle additions.

Back