Sulfur smell question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daimyo2k

Reaction score
Hey all...

I know that there are several posts on this, but I'm just trying to narrow down what I might be doing so that I can correct it. My ciders are done fermenting, and both have a mild sulfur smell. Where I live is on the cool side, so I put my containers on an electric heating pad. After a few hours the fermenting really took off, 2x 1 gallon containers done fermenting in 2 days. I understand that stress on the yeast might cause them to release the sulfur smell. Would the heating pad cause that stress? Any thoughts?

Thanks...
Stephen =]

What yeast are you using?

What was the temp of the fermenting juice, the actual liquid temp?

Some yeast produce more sulfur character during fermentation than others. I never get sulfur with my ciders, which I ferment with D-47, EC1118, or Belle saison. When I get sulfur with my beers, it always clears to the point that it’s unrecognizable in the final product.

Warmer fermentation temps can bring out more yeast expression. Not knowing your starting gravity, two days to ferment seems very fast. That indicates that the temp may have been on the warm side.

The only time I ever got sulfur smell in a cider was when I fermented with a lager yeast in the low 50s.

Your cider will likely taste better when fermented on the cooler side of the yeast's range. 62-66°F would be a good general target.

At those lower temps, active fermentation will be slower, 1-3 weeks. It then needs to condition for an additional 4-8 weeks, or even longer, depending on the cider.

Keep your airlock filled and let it age out. That sulphur should dissipate with time.

I agree with all of the votes for too fast. It should take at least two weeks including the lag phase if you're using commercial yeast.

Temperature wise, if possible, keep right in the middle of your yeast strains preferred temperature range. Too low to your temperature threshold will stress the yeast, and too high to the threshold will as well.

Latest posts

Back