Storeing your kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zman3

Reaction score
Okay I bought two kits at the same time one is ready to drink and I still haven't made the other one yet because the guy at Midwest said If stored properly you got 6 months before it goes bad is that true? It has been about a month I also heard you should store hops in the fridge that's not true is it?

Hops in sealed package in the fridge, or freezer. Grains should be stored in a cool dry place out of the sun and can last a long time. I have stored hops for a year or longer in the freezer with no problems.

You could (should have already) put the whole box in the refrigerator. If the grains are already crushed I would use it fairly soon. Crushed grain does not last nearly as long as whole grains.

I keep grain in airtight containers in the basement. (mine is dry) Yeast in the refrigerator and hops (sealed in vacuum bags) in the freezer. Much of it is over a year old now and still good.

I plan on making it Sunday and it is stored in a cool dry place In the basement it should be fine right?

This Saturday? No problem! I have kept milled all-grain kits for as long as 10 weeks with no ill effects. Not my standard practice but it was brew it or toss it. I decided to brew it and it came out the same as if I had bought the grains that day. I am sure yours will be fine too.

Back