Suggestions on using Counter Pressure Bottle Filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialkayme

Reaction score
I used my Counter Pressure Bottle Filler (https://www.morebeer.com/products/counter-pressure-bottle-filler.html) for the first time last weekend. I have to get used to how it works, as none of the bottles ended up being filled to the proper level, and beer ended up all over the kitchen (a few gushers, but mainly it was after I filled the bottles, I'd take the bottle filler out of the bottle and it would go *POP* and beer would spray a good 5 feet in every direction).

For the sake of my marriage, does anyone have any hints or suggestions on how to properly use a Counter Pressure Bottle Filler?

I'm interested in the responses, as I was literally just looking today to buy one. They have pretty mixed reviews, especially when it comes to foaming. I've heard keep the beer and bottles COLD, pour off a bit of beer first before starting to fill bottles. Turn off beer out once bottle is filled, set aside to cap and keep filling other bottles, or if you have a friend with you, they can cap.

How much pressure are you filling at ? When I used a make shift one it had to be 3 psi maybe 5 . I had too much pressure and it popped the line off . Choc stout hit every wall and ceiling so I feel your pain. I would fill it then when the beer flow came to a halt I had to relieve the pressure a bit then the beer would flow again. Gotta do it slow also. I ended up getting the blichman v2 as it's way easier for me now .

How much pressure are you filling at ? When I used a make shift one it had to be 3 psi maybe 5 . I had too much pressure and it popped the line off . Choc stout hit every wall and ceiling so I feel your pain. I would fill it then when the beer flow came to a halt I had to relieve the pressure a bit then the beer would flow again. Gotta do it slow also. I ended up getting the blichman v2 as it's way easier for me now .
I've heard very mixed reviews on the Blichmann v2. No foaming issues for you? I'm currently filling swing top bottles directly from my picnic tap all the way to the top and capping on liquid with zero headspace. Haven't let one sit for longer than 2 weeks, but they stay fully carbed. Not sure I need to invest in something like this.

I've heard very mixed reviews on the Blichmann v2. No foaming issues for you? I'm currently filling swing top bottles directly from my picnic tap all the way to the top and capping on liquid with zero headspace. Haven't let one sit for longer than 2 weeks, but they stay fully carbed. Not sure I need to invest in something like this.

I've been doing the same thing, except i gave up on the picnic tap. It just foamed all over for me. I started filling right from my kegerator with the keg at about 2-3 PSI. Same concept though.

I just got a Last Straw bottle filler myself, so we'll see how it goes. Have yet to use it.

No issues with Bv2 yet . Very easy and I bottled some kolsch and hefeweizen. Cracked em a few weeks later and perfect pour no loss of carbonation. My homemade bottle filler which I found on this site worked really good but I had some tough times with messes . So I figured 100$ for the Bv2 was worth it.

I have one of the morebeer counter pressure filler. I do not use it much unless I have a bunch of bottles to fill, for a couple bottle this approach works very well.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun.24678/

Mine leaks if I put it in the middle condition from one direction but not from the other, so I need to figure that on bottling day and only turn if off the one way.

I don't use the pressure relief valve I just mess with the cork like with the biermuncher approach. Fill until it spits beer then removed the filler.

I don't mess with the pressure I just use the serving pressure for the keg.

Cold bottle help reduce foam initially but if you give the start of the fill to settle a bit before relieving pressure the foam drops anyways. I use room temp bottle.

edit: When I pull the filler from the bottle I will crack the valve to add a little more beer, this does not really add beer just foam. I fill to the top with foam then cap immediately.

Last edited:
Run around 2-3psi. Make sure you close both beer and Co2 valves. Keep you pressure relief valve open and it should slide right out with no problems. I built mine, same thing you have, and have never had any issues.

So I may not understand something, but I didn't think the pressure I'm filling at mattered. I thought it was supposed to be serving pressure. Some explanation may be helpful so you don't all think I'm a super dummy.

So I carb the keg to serving carbonation, and it's sitting there at 12 psi. The point of the counter pressure bottle filler is to keep the bottle at the same psi as the keg, so it doesn't foam up while you're trying to fill it. Which should mean the bottle is put at 12 psi, then the beer is filled (which is at the same psi as the keg, so ideally no foam), and the pressure relief valve is slowly let to leak to adjust for the change in beer volume in the bottle.

Now if that's the case, and I get my keg to serving pressure of 12 psi, why would I then cut it down to 2-3 psi, only to cut the gas in on the bottle filler also down to 2-3 psi? It doesn't seem logical for me to carb at 12 psi, cut it down to 2-3 psi to bottle, then have it crank back up to 12 psi once capped (or there abouts). Am I missing something?

What I had done was fill at 12 psi. Foaming prevented the bottles from getting full all the way (or even at consistent levels). I tried putting the pressure release very low, and it took forever for a bottle to fill, but there was still foam. Then the pressure in the bottle had to be released before I removed the cork. If I shut the beer off and released the pressure with the release valve, I got a gusher and beer went everywhere. If I didn't release all the pressure, when I pulled the bottle filler out I got a spray of beer 5 feet out. If I increased the pressure release on the next bottle as I filled, there was more foam than before. After doing a dozen bottles, I finally got it to where it wasn't spraying beer all over the place and making a mess, but the fill levels were still inconsistent (and not full) due to the foam issue.

So do I just need more experience?

Did you pre-pressurized the bottle? That will help but not completely solve the problem. I have never been completely foam free when filling. You also want to allow CO2 to free flow for a few seconds to purge the bottle of O2.

If you pre-pressurize the bottle then relieve a little pressure with the beer on the bottle will fill some then stop. Most likely also foam up. Allow that initial foam to fall, it take 30sec maybe a minute depending how bad it foamed. Now slowly relieve pressure again so the bottle fills slowly and you will minimal foaming.

I've noticed that after I have the carbonation level I want it helps to chill the keg as cold as possible before bottling. A five degree temp drop can make a night and day difference in foaming.

The simplest way I could say it would be that you are using 2-3psi to push a beer that's "holding" 12psi worth of "energy". If you push with 12psi your essentially putting "to much energy" in a 12oz container that can not contain said energy.

Technically psi is not a measurement for carbonation. Psi is what forces a certain volume of Co2 to be dissolved into your beer. Once the beer has absorbed the Co2, it will hold that level unless it is physically disturbed or warmed. So keep it cold as well.

Also crazy you serve at 12psi. Try 6-10. You probably find you get less foam on the front end.

Also check out this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/360630/

It's a pretty good explanation, in further detail, of how Co2 is dissolved.

Hope that helps.

This is a good explanation, and in line with what i experience. I only use my CPF when i have a LOT of bottles to fill, otherwise i use the simple racking cane in picnic tap approach. Takes the same amount of time, results are the same, and there's a LOT less cleanup.

I actually serve at charge level (18psi) but with a lot of tubing to back-pressure it. My thought is that if you carb a beer to it's desired level (say 3 vols), then drop the pressure to serving pressure, eventually that beer will lose the initial carb level and equilibrate to the serving pressure.

Reading this thread it seems almost easier to just bottle it all instead of messing with a keg.

That's just me though.

All the Best,
D. White

I used my Counter Pressure Bottle Filler (https://www.morebeer.com/products/counter-pressure-bottle-filler.html) for the first time last weekend. I have to get used to how it works, as none of the bottles ended up being filled to the proper level, and beer ended up all over the kitchen (a few gushers, but mainly it was after I filled the bottles, I'd take the bottle filler out of the bottle and it would go *POP* and beer would spray a good 5 feet in every direction).

For the sake of my marriage, does anyone have any hints or suggestions on how to properly use a Counter Pressure Bottle Filler?

I understand from your initial question that you already have a commercial bottle filler, but I have had excellent luck using this method: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun.24678/
It's relatively cheap and I already had all the pieces on hand to build it. I might be the exception to the rule, but I seem to have it figured out and can fill bottles from my carbonated keg at serving pressure (12-15 psi) without any gushers. I can fill standard 12 oz. sanitized bottles to about 1-1.5" headspace and cap on foam. There are also several YouTube videos demonstrating this method.

Back