wy east yeast american ale vs american ale 2????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smonteton

Reaction score
im making an ipa tonight and decided to try a different yeast i got american ale 2 can anybody tell me what i might expect from my beer vs using american ale 1:mug: thanks any comments appreciated
cheers smon

You may get a little more fruitiness flavor from American Ale II then I, which depending on hop profiles may be nice. Also it has high flocculation vs medium for American Ale I, which is normally better for malty beers (per Wyeast site).

Sometimes you may have to swirl your carboy/bucket because the high flocculation can cause the yeast to drop after only a few days and you may want to get them back in suspension.

1272 is great for IPA's - a true top-cropper, you'll see a nice mat of yeast on top throughout the ferment. I usually get good attenuation without any need for rousing, and you'll get a bit more fruity overtones. I usually keep my ferment at 68F or so...

I am sipping a wonderful APA that I fermented with American Ale 2. Definitely a little bit of fruit and it definitely flocculates out better. I have never had any issues with it not fermenting properly. I found a smack pack of American Ale 2 in the back of the fridge that was 10 months old once. I stepped it up to a 2 liter starter and it made a fantastic beer. Great choice!

wow that yeast is crazy it overflowed threw the air lock in an 8 gallon bucket cant wait to see what it taste like:tank:

wow that yeast is crazy it overflowed threw the air lock in an 8 gallon bucket cant wait to see what it taste like:tank:

It's a monster isn't it?! I use it in almost every ale I brew now...always with a blowoff after a couple really messy fermentations. It's oily-slick cap takes awhile to drop on it's own after it's done fermenting, but if you break it up, it'll drop pretty quickly. I get a lot of fruity, nutty flavours from it at 64f. What temperature did you ferment it at?

well its only 3 days into fermentation im at about 69 to 70 degrees :ban: ya its one pissed off yeast

Even if you ferment a bit too warm, dry hopping will mask the extra fruitiness and it will taste just fine. Sometimes I'll end up with a warmer fermentation and a little more fruitiness than I want. If that happens, I just dry hop the heck out of it and I've still got great beer.

Back