Building A Mash Tun - Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
So today's the day I build my mash-tun so that I can switch to doing AG.

I'm looking to do between 5 and 6.5 gallon batches, and from what I've seen I'll likely be doing batch-sparging or even no-sparge mashing.

I have several questions though:

1) what is the ideal sized cooler I should acquire to make a tun for these sized batches?

2) I have an old (but in good condition) cooler but it doesn't have a drain to convert to a spigot. Is it easy to drill one out or am I just going to make a mess, screw up my cooler, have to replace it anyways, and struggle in the process of making one when I can simply go buy a cooler with one already present?

3) I've come across the probably infamous "Brian and Jen" video on how to make a mash tun. Other than their use of galvanized steel wire and conduit nuts, (I'll simply get ss), is their method recommended?

4) Last, is there anything in your experience that you wish had done (or NOT done) when building your mash tun?

Thanks everyone! I've always found results better when I double check here first.

Andy, there are quite a few videos on Youtube and if you go into the DIY Projects forum here, you'll find more info. You will need a 10 gal Igloo Cooler. They already have the hole for your ball valve,,but you can drill a hole in your cooler(it's only plastic and foam). Stay away from anything steel or galvanized, go with stainless steel or brass.

My first mash tun was a cheap walmart one I drilled out and it worked great for a year and I would still be using but I started doing no sparge mashing so moved up to a ten gallon tun which is big enough for my smaller grain bills.

Never seen the video you referenced but I went with a braid that I put coiled copper inside and that seems to work as well as my old manifold did.

1) read thru this thread. learn it. there will be a quiz later.

no, really. good thread, further on it gives formulas to use to determine how BIG a beer you can make with whatever size tun. because it's not just volume of the batch you have to consider, it's also how much grain you can jam in there. big batches big beers needum big tun.

2) if you feel confident enough in your skill level to try something like that, go ahead. or else just get a new one.

Thanks guys, I'll check out the other forum too.

The video I referenced is here:

Seems like a really well done video, except of course for their use of galvanized steel inside the tun which people are crying out in the comments is poisonous.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be limited in your gravities with a 5 gallon cooler but you can always make higher gravity batches via partial mash. With a 10 gallon you can pretty much go as high as you'd reasonably want though your big beers may fill the cooler all the way. If you think you'll want to do 10 gallon batches later on you'll need an even bigger cooler.

I'd be leery of using an old cooler just for fear of flavors & aromas that the plastic may have absorbed over the years, but that's just me. A good soak in OxiClean might fix that. But I would think you could drill it out and convert it. Just be careful to make a clean hole so you can get it to seal up.

I haven't seen the "Brian and Jen" video but you should check out this thread: Cheap & Easy Mash Tun Build

I have a 10 gallon round cooler that I got from Home Depot and love it. I use a bazooka screen and it works great. I have had a couple stuck sparges but that's not a huge deal. I'm going to start using rice hulls to hopefully prevent that.

1) read thru this thread. learn it. there will be a quiz later.

no, really. good thread, further on it gives formulas to use to determine how BIG a beer you can make with whatever size tun. because it's not just volume of the batch you have to consider, it's also how much grain you can jam in there. big batches big beers needum big tun.

2) if you feel confident enough in your skill level to try something like that, go ahead. or else just get a new one.

ah, very good thread. Thanks for pointing it out.

I used an 15 gallon igloo ice cube cooler with mine and just built a cpvc manifold in it, really easy, hanvt had a stuck sparge and it was cheap. I also dont have to worry about the manifold collapsing that way.

I made a copper manifold when I did my MLT. I've had one stuck sparge but I think it was my fault for stirring the mash too much before lautering. In retrospect I wish I'd gone with a bazooka screen due to cost. I used a 10 gallon igloo circular and works really well overall.

I made a copper manifold also but in hindsight, I'd just use the braided line that you see in many of the vids. Be sure to get a cooler with a spout on the side or drill one there. Many coolers these days seem to drain in the front and may contain elevated areas inside the cooler that make for potential dead space and drainage issues. Trust me, I went that route and wish I hadn't.

Also buy a can of spray foam if you have a hollow lid which most coolers have. Drill a hole or two along the backside of the lid and fill that void with foam. Heat rises and it'll escape there.

Edit: just noticed the video you posted. That cooler would work ok as a front drainer, looks like a good setup actually. Just make sure the interior is flat without the stepped up areas like I have in mine. You'll see what I'm getting at if you look at a bunch of different coolers.

My drain is actually elevated but if you build it right you can get it all to drain out. Also I haven't spray foamed my lid and I loose maybe a degree over the entire mash.

Made mine from pvc. First the pvc leaches and can cause cancer. Second it falls apart if you bump it to hard stirring and is just a pain. I would assume cpvc would also fall apart if not careful. But I'm sure plenty people use it without issues I'm just not careful My suggestion is def to do a more rigid (copper, ss) set up. Redoing mine before next brew.

My last batch I lost a half a degree over 60 minutes. I have no idea what's in my igloo cooler lid.

Latest posts

Back