Uncle Sam's Parted with 69 dollars. Help me spend it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm back in college (again) and working a part time job. Some of you already know that means I have nothing to work with. I'd like to do another batch today! I've got the following equipment:

10 quart SS Boil Kettle
Wine Thief
Hydrometer
Floating Thermometer
Sanitizing Bucket
30 ounces of Star San
Autosiphon and hose
Bottling bucket
2 Six Gallon better bottle carboys
1 Three Gallon glass (currently being used)
SS brew spoon
and some various airlocks, blow off tubes, and gallon jugs

Note the lack of wort chiller! My bath tub does a pretty good job getting a 2 gallon wort cool in under 30 mins

I could make a 5 gallon batch like I did with my second brew (which should turn out alright!) and top off with 3 gallons of water. I know this isn't desirable, but I'm on a budget and the second batch (although still bottle carbing) tasted good at bottling.

I could also buy another 3 gallon carboy and do another almost-full-volume boil beer.

To the point: I've got just about 70 bucks to work with. What's the next purchase I should make? I desire to do partial mashes (BIAB) in the next couple months and eventually (when the money boat comes in) will move to all grain. What ever money I save I can spend on ingredients for brewing more beer.

Come now, HBT.... let's play SPEND DSORENSON'S MONEY!

Creative solution! Love the idea. I'm tossing that one in the ring.

If you think that's creative, you obviously haven't been on this forum more than about 2 weeks! People here are crazy with amazing ideas. I consider myself the dumb one....:) but thanks.

Since you have the (2) 6 gallon better bottles, I would look at getting an 7-10 gallon aluminum pot so you can do full 5 gallon batches. Since you mentioned moving to all grain a 10 gallon pot might be better, as it would accommodate the grain/water required for an all grain batch. If you get a larger pot, your 10 quart pot could be used for mashing grain in a partial mash batch, then you could just strain into your bigger pot, add your water and boil away (until the boat comes in for the all-grain setup).

I missed the quart part. I use a 5 gallon (20QT) ss kettle myself for anything from AE to Pb/PM BIAB. A 10G would go all the way to AG though.

I don't use bags when I mash, so I bought a cheapo 16 quart stainless pot ($12) that I mash in, and then I use a fine mesh stainless colander to strain/rinse the grain into my 7.5 gallon pot (which came with the purchase of my turkey fryer burner). After taxes I am right at $75 for the setup.

Well thanks guys! clearly I need to put more thought into this. Your advice is really helping me figure some things out. I'm so impatient to start a new batch, but maybe I'll use that time wisely to get myself set up well for next week.

Also, thoughts on what should come first? if I upgrade my kettle size, I'm going to want/need a chiller...

I have a big plastic tote that I use for cooling the wort, and it doubles as a swamp cooler. Whenever I brew I buy 4-5 bags of ice, and put them in the tote when I am done brewing. I then top off with water and add my brewpot. Then I top my wort off with a gallon of spring water that I place in the freezer when I start brewing so it helps aid in cooling (I usually only do 4 gallon boils for this reason). I generally get the wort cooled in 20-30 min.

When I am done cooling the wort, I place the tote in the spare bathroom tub with some water until the water level reaches 1/3 - 1/2 way up the carboy. In the summer I use 32 oz. ice bottles to regulate fermentation temps, and in the winter I can add hot water from the bathroom faucet to keep temps warm as well.

It might not be the fanciest setup, but it works for me. I am going to consider making an immersion chiller in the next couple of months, but I will continue to use the tote for a swamp cooler setup.

What would a refractometer do for me? o_O;;

I like getting gravity readings from only a couple drops of liquid. I can check readings every step of the way and quickly. No cooling samples or dumping tubes of precious homebrew down the drain (What you don't taste of course). Just put a splash on there, and read it.

I guess they're just not for everyone tho...

If you are fine w/ 2 gallon batches or like to brew more frequently then spend the money on a couple recipe kits. You can split the 5 gallon kits to make 2x 2.5 gallon batches. Drink that hard earned/refunded moneyQ

If you are brewing on your stovetop, I would be careful moving to a bigger pot as it can really take a long LONG time to get 5+ gallons to brew with a stove.

If you are using propane, then you are all good.

Also, if you are using 4-5 bags of ice per brew session, you are spending $10 per brew day on ice. You can build a wort chiller for less than $40. You will save loads in the long run by making a chiller.

I also have to consider kitchen space... huh...

It does seem like a SS 20 quart would allow me to brew 2.5 gallon all grain as well as almost complete boils for 5 gallon extract. Used in conjunction with my current pot it would allow for 5 gallon partial mash almost full volume boils.

That and a wort chiller.

Anyone have any thoughts on BIAB versus a converted 2.5 gallon cooler mash/lauter tun? Or is the 5 gallon just a better idea and worth the money?

DSorenson said:
Anyone have any thoughts on BIAB versus a converted 2.5 gallon cooler mash/lauter tun? Or is the 5 gallon just a better idea and worth the money?

Between BIAB and a 2.5 gal MLT, I would go BIAB for sure. Almost no cost. You just need a pot which you will undoubtedly use in the future. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but a 2.5 gal MLT isn't going to mash much. You'd have an easier time BIAB. But I could be wrong. If the option was between a 10 gal MLT and BIAB, I'd go MLT and big pot with turkey fryer. But then you are looking at some more cash.

Back