Mango Habanero Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blascar

Reaction score
Just brewed this up yesterday:

All grain:
5# German Wheat
4.5# 2 Row
1# Rice Hulls
Mash 152* (60) Fly Sparge 168* (45)
Boil additions: (75)
1oz Styrian Goldings (60)
1 Habanero cut in half and deseeded, prefrozen in starsan (20)
1oz Citra (15)
1oz Citra (0)
Yeast:
WLP 001 California Ale

Primary for 7-10 days
Rack to secondary with 12-15 cut and diced frozen mangoes for 7 days, add 1-2 mangoes 2 days prior to bottling, and add 1-2 diced deseeded habanero peppers 2 days prior to bottling *No more than 2 days with habaneros

No idea how this is going to turn out. Styrian Goldings should give a spice flavor, not sure how it will compliment the peppers. Anybody have any ideas on how this may turn out?

By deseeding the pepper you have reduced the heat which, with habs, is necessary. I think it will get good flavor from the peppers. The mango flavor I wouldn't know about, but have read that the more processed (ie chopped/ puréed ) the more flavor comes out. Hope it comes out awesome! The best wing sauce I've had was mango habenero at Buffalo Wild Wings.... Delicious!!!

I'm pretty interested myself as to how it will turn out, sounds rather scrumptious.

Just bottled this masterpiece last night. I have to say, the smell was quite possibly the best smelling beer you could imagine. Very rich mango smell, with a slight variance caused by the habs. As for the taste: Excellent as well, super refreshing, it has a slight "tingle" that goes away in about 5 seconds. I cant wait to try it when it is primed properly. Follow the recipe above and dont leave the habs in secondary for more than 48 hours. Will post one more update when its carbed.

Everything seems to compliment each other perfectly. i have had numerous people, including non beer drinkers say they really enjoy it. im not going to change anything for at least 1 more batch because it turned out so well and i plan to enter it in a hombrew competition. the smell is magical and the hint of spice is more refreshing than anything. Dont keep the habs in secondary for more than 48 hours. If youre a wuss i would just use 1 hab in secondary, but that could take something away from this beer. the more mangoes the better, i added about 12 total, 3-4 every 3-4 days during secondary. ill give it a second run and see if it turns out just as good

Blascar, I plan on brewing this up tomorrow, but I don't have the capabilities to do AG so I tried my best to convert this to extract and this is what I came up with for the grain:
3.75# Wheat LME
2.7# 2 Row

So I will steep the 2 row in a grain bag and then proceed to bring the wort temp up and then add the LME....should I still do the 75 minute boil like you call for? Or do you think it would be scaled down any because it's extract...?

60 should be fine on the boil. I boiled for 75 to lose some more liquid to try to get closer to 5 gallons cause my preboil volume was higher than I wanted. If youre doing extract stick with the standard 60 min boil. I think youre pretty good with the stock wheat beer recipe like you got and then follow what I had for hops and other additions. This is by far the most popular beer Ive made and will be entering a contest next month. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Dont let those habaneros pieces stay in secondary too long

blascar said:
the more mangoes the better, i added about 12 total, 3-4 every 3-4 days during secondary. ill give it a second run and see if it turns out just as good

When you say 12 total. Is that 12 whole mangos or 12 chunks?

Ok so from what I've read, 2 row can't really be steeped to extract fermentable sugars--for that it HAS to be mashed. I'm a post college grad that still works at my college, and so I am not typically around my LHBS (which is three hours away). While I was home over Thanksgiving, I picked up what I thought I was going to need...So I was slightly upset at the guy from my LHBS that led me to believe I could just steep 2 row and get what I needed--now that I realize I can't.

So I called him and re-explained everything and then he told me that I would be best off with dme, which was what I thought in the FIRST place, and he did the conversions for me and told me I would need 5 lbs, even though I told him I thought it would be 3 lbs.....so like a complete sucker I just took what he said at face value and had him charge me and then he shipped it today.

At the recommendation of someone else, I grabbed the trial version of BeerSmith 2 and started crunching numbers and comparing them to when I input your recipe and I definitely only needed 3 lbs.

Once the dme arrives I plan on using this as my recipe:
2.7 lbs 2 row (which I might as well steep for the malt character since I purchased the grains already and it won't do anything else for me)
3.75 lbs wheat lme
3 lbs light dme
I was considering modifying the hop schedule slightly to: 60, 30, 5 to better match the IBU's reported by BeerSmith for your AG recipe, (thoughts?). Then I will follow everything else you had noted for yeast, peppers, and mangoes. I'm pretty excited for this because the habaneros I'm using came fresh from my dad's garden.

Thanks for listening to my rant, ha. Will post updates / results.

12 whole mangoes, chopped up. Dont put them all in at once do like 7 up front when you rack secondary, and then add 2 a day after 10 days in secondary for the remaining 6/7. does that make sense?

Im just brewing this again now and saw your comment. how did the brew go? the one thing i didnt write on here or in my notes is if i took the habanero out before i put into primary. im 98% sure i took it out but now im second guessing myself. it would be too hot if i kept it in but then whats the point of adding it to the boil?

im referring to the habanero that is added to the boil. the other two should be added to secondary for no more than 48 hours

Sorry for the late reply. And yeah I had assumed to take the Hab from the boil out before putting into the primary.

I have to hand it to you Blascar, this recipe has been my favorite. I ended up steeping 2.75# of 2 Row at 160 for 20 minutes and sparged with 140. Then I brought my total boil up to 2.5 gallons of water and proceeded to boil. I ended up using 3# of Light DME and 3.75# of Wheat LME, and followed your additions recipe for the boil with the Goldings, Citra, and Habs.

I have brewed with fruit in the secondary before and thought that the fruit came through too much with what the recipe called for...and so on this one I ended up scaling back on the mangoes for fear that it would happen again. So in all I used 9, cut and frozen over a few days and then added the 2 cut/deseeded habs for the last 48 hours.

My OG was 1.057 and my FG was 1.010.

The aroma is a pleasant mango smell and the beer has a semi sweet initial taste, and a nice back sting from the habs. I expected maybe a little more flavor from the habs, most of their taste in this ended up being heat. But I do really love it. It is definitely a hit or miss with my family/friends, some love it and some hate it.

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

Wow this beer sounds fantastic! Definitely added to my ever growing of recipes I wanna try after I bottle my very first batch. What would you think about scaling back the mangoes a bit and throwing in some peaches?

Give it a try and let us know! That actually sounds great. I did mangos because I'm a mango habanero Buffalo Wild Wings fanatic

blascar or anyone that can answer, I put the mangos only in the fermenter and don't add any to the boil correct? Never made a beer with fruit yet and plan on making this on Fri. Thanks for your help!

Correct, when I did mine I added a few every few days to the Secondary. I had scaled down on blascar's original recipe for fear the mangoes would shine through more than I wanted...but that definitely was not the case. In my batch, the mangoes provided a delightful aroma to the beer, but that was about it. If I were to do it again, I definitely wouldn't hold back at all on the mangoes.

sorry for another silly question but i only add to secondary right? if so why not add any in the primary

I've always added to the secondary because that's what the guy at my LHBS told me when I first started venturing into additions--I know that isn't a technical response, ha.

So I searched quick for a more proper response and found this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/add-fruit-primary-rack-beer-top-fruit-secondary-220392/ and here is what I think is the best reasoning on going with adding to the secondary:

When adding to the primary, the fermentation (if still going) will scrub the fruity goodness (flavor & aroma) moreso than if added to the secondary. Two of the main reasons i advocate in the secondary is 1) for the reason above, and 2) you don't have to sanitize fresh fruit as well (if at all) when adding to the secondary due to the presence of alcohol already in the beer.

Yeah secondary only. Honestly with the way I have it you're not getting a mango taste. You're just mellowing out the wheat beer taste and countering the habanero, which somehow works out perfect. The cites hops are giving a majority of the mango smell. This beer smells unreal. In my opinion you can do whatever you want with the mangoes. I've made a few batches of this and change the quantity of mangoes each time but it usually turns out the same result. Let me know how it goes.

Also 12-15 mangoes sounds like a lot. But those suckers are a pain to cut up. I prefer not to take a lot of time cutting them up and probably lose a good amount of them when I'm cutting but mangoes are no fun to deal with.

They certainly are a pain. Honestly, If/when I brew this beer again I think I'll opt to go with frozen mango chunks from the grocery store.

blascar,rgregoryirving: I plan to cut and freeze them, should i take them out and let sit in star-san for a few minutes before adding to carboy? I'm brewing this friday, making my starter tonight. Using your recipe rgregoryirving (being that I'm not at the AG level yet) anything you would change other than the amount of mangos? sorry for all the questions just never added fruit before, again thanks to you both for the help!

I wouldn't bother with the star-san for the fruit, since your adding it to the secondary there is already alcohol in your beer- that being one of the reasons for adding it to the secondary.

The only other thing from blascar's original recipe that I would stress is that you definitely do NOT want to leave the habs in the secondary for any longer than 48 hours, those 2 days are certainly enough for the beer to get that heat kick.

try washing the ripe mangoes with soap and water then cutting them up on a sanitized cutting board. Put the chunks in a zip-lock with a very small amount of properly-diluted star-san (~1 oz) and squish them around to get good contact. Toss the zip-lock in the freezer for 48 hrs or so to help break up the cells in the fruit. You can even thaw and re-freeze several times to really make mango mush. Then you just have to thaw and pour the mush into your fermenter when you are ready.

The small amount of star-san will not damage the fruit or add any flavor. I did this with plums last summer and had no infections in my beer even though the plums were extremely ripe and on the verge of fermenting.

Sounds very tasty and I may have to try it. However I would probably run the mangos through my juicer or blender and freeze them into cubes as I ferment in a conical fermenter and want no blockages in my dump capability. I just need to figure out how many cubes to a mango...
Thanks for the inputs!
Mike

So I brewed this Fri along with a IPA. I used 1 1/2 habs in the boil and followed the recipe. My OG was high(1.091) don't know how I ended up short on my water, anyway tasted my gravity sample and tasted no heat. Brought gravity down to 1.062 and tasted again, no heat. For those that brewed this have/did you taste the OG sample and was there heat??
Brewed the IPA and all was good on the OG, maybe a brain fart on first batch!

I did not taste the sample of the wort before the primary, however I did sample after the primary before I began making additions. I did not taste heat either, truth be told I really thought the hop aroma/flavor came through nicely before the additions. The source of the heat definitely comes more from the habaneros being added to the secondary.

kegged my beer on 3-26-rgregoryirving gravity reading was 1.011. Force carbed and let sit 24 hours, pulled 1 glass and was ok( seemed to have a bitter taste, like peel/rhine) not strong but it was there. Anyway let it sit for 2 days and actually seemed to smooth out. Taste a mango on the initial taste but then a slight bit of heat in the throat area. All in all i think its a great idea and a good tasting beer.
Thanks for the help too,rgregoryirving and blascar

Back