Any worse beer destination than Mexico?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
Being dragged to an all inclusive wedding in Cancun, and all I will have to wash down the ****ty food is terrible beer. :(

I feel ya Xprtskier.

Last summer the family took a trip to the Dominican on the in-laws dime. I'll never complain about that, but when it comes to beer, Presidente (an acceptable light lager in my mind, though far from my favorite style) was the best the resort had to offer and you had to special order it. By the time I got home I was in serious lupulin withdrawal and devoured every double IPA I had in the fridge.

The Caribbean Islands are not much better, but at least the rum drinks are good! Negra Modelo is the only Mexican beer that isn't a corn/rice yellow beer...it's vienna lager. Still not very good, but better than some of the others!

I know. The tex-mex food is better. Did they at least had Chile Relleno?

Chile Relleno and Negra Modelo is a nice combo.

I love food. Especially authentic Mexican food, the kind I will be unable to get at such a place.

I'll be miles away from slow cooked cow, goat, and pigs with delicious spices being served ground beef and dry chicken smothered in "cheese".

I'll be sorely in need of delicious beers to numb my taste buds and mind.

I love food. Especially authentic Mexican food, the kind I will be unable to get at such a place.

I'll be miles away from slow cooked cow, goat, and pigs with delicious spices being served ground beef and dry chicken smothered in "cheese".

I'll be sorely in need of delicious beers to numb my taste buds and mind.

Yep, I'd forgo the beer althougher and hit the tequila instead....only way you can come close to making back your money on the all-inclusive affair.

The middle east is much worse. Hard to even find a beer in most places.
Most of the local brews in the far east are just about undrinkable but some places, like Thailand, import good German beer.
In the Philippines after you choke down a couple the rest are not too bad and for about 25 cents each it is hard to complain.
The local beer in Japan is very expensive and ranges from undrinkable to fairly good.
I could go on about other places but let me just say that being a good Sailor I always managed to drink more than my share of beer every place I went.:drunk:

The Caribbean Islands are not much better, but at least the rum drinks are good! Negra Modelo is the only Mexican beer that isn't a corn/rice yellow beer...it's vienna lager. Still not very good, but better than some of the others!

&$@#%?/¿:; and @@&$%((

Philippines isn’t too bad but they only have san Miguel products, so just drink the stronger stuff called red horse... beer is like 25-50 cents and at a bar maybe like 60 cents, But you might be able to get some Heinekens in Makati for a buck but that’s about it. But honestly buy Emporador Light its basically their watered down brandy 40 proof its 2-3 bucks for a 1L.
Korea you get the local stuff that is like miller or bud for like a buck which is call Hite and OB, but you get a lot of European commercial beers there also at like 2-3 bucks.
Bahamas is the worse then Mexico... they only have Kalik and sands for local stuff and both aren’t very good... sands is better of the 2... Also the beers are 2.50 each at the grocery store, no such thing as buying in bulk and 3 bucks at a bar... Also everything closes at like 9!!!! If you can find some Red Stripe go with that its 10x better there then in the states! So just stick with the pina coldas and the local Ricardo rum… It smells like banana boat but taste so good!
As for Mexico you can get the standard stuff... Modelo, Corona, Victoria, Indio and Tecate... But if you want to do beer just have them make you cheladas! also if they have corona familiar I believe it’s a stronger corona and Model negro is the best as a chelada! But drink Victoria its better than all the other Mexican beers. But if that isn’t your cup of tea or should I say beer… Just drink the tequila!
But most Muslim based countries are terrible for brews! Except my cousins said Israel has more alcohol then In the States.

That’s my 2 cents…

I don't think there is anything wrong with Negro Modelo. Bohemia is also not bad. Drank a lot of both last time I was there along with a lot of Coco Loco's!:drunk:

Negra Modelo is the only Mexican beer that isn't a corn/rice yellow beer...it's vienna lager. Still not very good, but better than some of the others!

I think Negra Modelo is better than you are giving it credit for. It's what I usually drink at the local Mexican restaurants. If only I could get them to leave the lime out of it.

I remember my dad telling my mom how Corona was made. It went something like:

"Mexicans drink tequilla all day long, then get paid 100 pesos a liter to piss into Corona Bottles."

c'mon...do you really need to ask that question.

and to all the liquor suggestions...I no longer drink liquor, and the world is a better place because of it.

Probably a good idea, since the ice they put in your beverage, probably comes from the water they tell you not to drink.

Never been to Mexico, so I don't know how the water thing plays out at the resorts, but have been to Aruba a couple of times. That's a BMC heaven, with Amstel light, Heineken and the local Brew Balashi (tasted like a cross between amstel and heineken) The good thing is, when you are sitting on the beach, watching the sun set, smoking a cigar and having a drink, even a Miller Lite tastes good. But yeah, in Mexico, I'd probably go the Negro Modelo route.

We did an all inclusive Mexican resort a few years back and all the pool and beach bars had was Dos Equi on tap. Even the in room fridge was stocked with the stuff. Other beers were available in the restaurants but you cant bring glass to the pool or beach. Yeah, I was pretty sick of Dos Equis by the end of that week.
Oh, and my travel tip to you, ingest only bottled water, even brush your teeth with the stuff. This will help prevent a good deal of personal discomfort and a great deal of unpleasantness for those around you.

We go Mexico quite often and one beer I have grown found of is Sol. Pretty good light beer.

I'm betting Tehran or Kabul would be significantly worse.

+1 to Indio and Negra Modelo.

And there was a lot of beer there you don't see outside of Mexico, so who knows what you'll find.

Also, when its hot as **** and they're ice cold, your going to appreciate the Corona/Sol/Pacifico.

I don't have any specifics, but John Palmer has been talking about a significant and growing craft beer culture in Mexico. You might try emailing him. It may be that the breweries are in non-tourist cities, though.

Miami is pretty bad for beer. I always check Untapped when I'm there and the Trending Local list is usually lead by something like Shock Top or Budweiser Black Label.

Compared to much of Central America/Caribbean, I don't think Mexico is that bad as a beer destination, even if most of it is readily available already in the States. I really like Negra Modelo FWIW and Sol or Tecate can be pretty good on a hot day.

Honduras might take the cake for horrible beer. There are 4 major beer labels there, all made by the same brewery, and they all equally suck. I don't think those guys have discovered the hop plant yet...

I don't have any specifics, but John Palmer has been talking about a significant and growing craft beer culture in Mexico. You might try emailing him. It may be that the breweries are in non-tourist cities, though.

There's a brewpub in Cabo San Jose, Baja Brewing. They also have a bar in Cabo San Lucas, but I don't think they brew there. The brewery in Cabo San Jose is in the artist's district and is a good place to spend an afternoon.

Of course, this is no help to the OP!

I was in Mexico City last year and tried every beer I could - almost without fail they were Vienna Lagers. Not my favorite style, but certainly not the crap we get sold as Mexican Beer.

By far the worst place I've been for beer is India - I found one bottle of Fuller's ESB that was so badly oxidized it was nearly undrinkable - BUT compared to the lagers they brew and sell there it was heavenly!

Luckily my return flight had a layover in Frankfurt and I was able to cleanse my palette with some Berliner Weisse.

All inclusive resort screams bad food and beer. Outside the resort you can get street tacos and Bohemia. So it's not Mexico that is ****ing you over it's the resort.

Back