Need help with OG:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnboybrew

Reaction score
Here is a recipe for the beer I made:

12 lb American - Pale 2-Row
1 lb United Kingdom - Carastan Light (15L)
0.5 lb Carastan 77
1 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt)

1 oz Citra 60 min 11 37.01 Pellet Boil
1 oz Motueka 30 min 7.5 19.4 Pellet Boil
1 oz Motueka 15 min 7.5 12.52 Pellet Boil

Ferment with: Wyeast - Northwest Ale 1332

I used the Brewsession website for brew day. My OG came in @ 1.052; however, brewsession claims it should be @ 1.072. I'm not sure if i should be worried or not. This seems like a huge difference. Is this going to effect mouthfeel and the C2H5OH levels in my beer? Any help is appreciated.

:mug:

Looks like the website used a efficiency of over 80%. That's a little unrealistic for most people (including myself). You got closer to 60%. The beer will still be beer, but won't be what you intended. Next time you'll have to adjust the recipe using an efficiency closer to 60%. Then, you can duplicate any recipe. You may use less/more grain then the next guy.....but consistency is the key in brewing. :rockin:

That's a pretty big difference. You will likely have a beer that is "out of balance" compared to the original recipe - I'm not saying that the beer you brewed won't be good (it could be great even!)...just that it will not be the same as the beer if it had started at 1.072. Your ABV will definitely be lower and your hops are likely to stand out more. Might be more bitter than you would expect as well.

Your efficiency was lower than you expected. What was your mash process?

:off: (slightly)...That's a lot of "cara-" malt in the recipe. I expect your FG will be on the high side. What temp did you mash at?

my advise is to do a pre boil gravity check and do the math for boil time and have some DME on hand to and some if needed.

Back