Sucked trub into keg after cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdzine

Reaction score
Short: sucked trub into keg. Beer cloudy with lots of yeast and trub in suspension. Do I re-fine it with gelatin or something else? Do I just need to be (sighs) patient?

Details:
I’m a 5 galling brewer, but recently did my first small batch. Of course all my equipment is 5 gallons sized. So when I dropped my autosiphon (full-size) into the 1 gal fermenter i ended up sucking up trub because is was not used to the length.

The beer was crystal clear prior to disturbing the yeast cake. Now I have quite a bit of yeast hanging in suspension and after 3 days in the keg it is still not dropping clear. I’m hesitant to burn a few pints because it’s only a 1 gallon batch.

Will the yeast drop back out even though the keg is carbed?

Beer: Smash
Viking Extra Pale Malt
Hallertau Mittlefreu
S-189 yeast 11g
Yeast nutrient
Hit all my numbers. 1.061 OG 1.012 FG
Fermented @ 12C for 7days - Free rise to 15C 24 hours. Left for 5 more days. Cold crashed for 3 Days. Then it all went sideways...

It should. I did the same a couple days ago. The cold should make it drop out again but you’ll get a little bit on the first couple pints

Let it rest and carb, don't move it around, then drink all of it. RDWHAHB

I normally do 12 gallon batches and fill two 5 gallon cornies full and aim to fill my 1.6 gallon keg as much as I can before I start sucking yeast cake and dry hops. Even if I didn't add biofine to the kegs, they still drop clear after 4-5 days untouched in the kegerator.

Back