The one time I forgot the blow off hose...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
Today I brewed a 1.066 Saison and used the WLP 568 strain. As a personal rule I always, always, always start every, every, every fermentation with a blow off. Unfortunately, after pitching I temporarily placed an airlock on the carboy to carry it, with the intention of replacing it later with a blow off hose. Of course I forgot! Tonight while getting ready for bed I hear (from our closet/fermentation chamber) a very distinctive "Fwoomp!" Followed quickly by the airlock hitting the ceiling. Crap! Crap! Crap! The worst part is not being flexible enough to kick my own backside. I hate doing stupid things.

Then I'm in good company....brewed a IIPA over the weekend, OG 1.085 and pitched a massive starter.....Woke up the next morning to a clogged airlock, blown bucket lid and krausen everywhere......took me an hour to rig the blowoff and get the bucket in a water bath to control the fermentation temp. Was late to work.

48 hours later the blow-off is still bubbling every second. Hadn't done this big a beer before and didn't know what to expect. Now I know better.

The last time I had this happen was in 2005 with my first RIS. It was 1.100 and blew like Old Faithful. At that time I kept fermenters in the pantry so it wasn't too hard to clean. This time they are in a carpeted closet with clothing hanging up so it was a bit harder.

Ouch. I've only had one blow off, with my dubbel but it was the first time i used a starter and the strain was wyeast belgian abey which is a very slow starter. Thought i was out of the woods and then BOOM. nope, not quite.

So I should be mandated to show you a picture? Screw that. If I wanted you to see it I would have posted a picture. Besides, it was far more important to get it fixed than to take a picture of it rolling out foam on my closet carpet just so you can see. Sorry, but your curiosity is pretty low on my priorities.

kombat said:
Then why did you post at all?

I didn't realize I needed a reason. I especially didn't realize I had to do it for a reason or in a way that satisfied you. Are you enjoying yourself? Sorry but I am going to resume my life. You keep this going if you want.

Back