Infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanethebarber

Reaction score
Is this infected? I had temp control prob. I pitched new yeast and still no fermentation.

0608132122a.jpg

"still no fermentation." Looks like it's fermenting to me, put the top back on and leave it in a cool place for 3 weeks and don't touch it and you'll have beer, Just because you see no bubbles in the air lock doesn't mean it's not doing it's thing:D

Looks totally fine to me. Maybe you have brewers munchhausen disease. There is no way I came close to spelling that right.

Looks totally fine to me. Maybe you have brewers munchausen disease. There is no way I came close to spelling that right.

Fixed that for you! Closer than I'd get without Google and I have degrees in psychology and clinical mental health counseling!

I would recommend leaving it alone. If you keep messing with it and opening the bucket to take photos you just may end up with an infection.

When did you pitch your yeast?

Oh, and your beer is fine. If you pitched June 4 it has finished fermenting a long time ago and that is CO2 & yeast rafts.

ForumRunner_20130622_180704.jpg

Now THAT'S an infection!

Mmmmm...Brettanomyces!

I hate to disagree with everybody else, but it sure doesn't look right to me.

There is no krausen ring, and mold on top. It really looks like moldy wort, not beer.

Weird! I've never seen a beer ferment without any signs of a krausen ring. Did you by chance transfer it from the primary to this bucket?

If it's at 1.005 it's definitely done.

Did you taste it?

Taste the beer. Is it sour? How bad was your temperature control?

If we're talking 90 F, maybe a lacto or some other infection beat the yeast to the punch, and what we're seeing in the second picture is busted pellicle from the OP wrestling his fermentor open every 10 minutes?

I have not tasted it. I have opened it 3 times. 1 to pitch more yeast after temps were well over 90 almost 100. 2 to take the pic at the start of the thread. 3 now. But now Im gonna open it again to taste it.

I'd recommend checking the gravity in a few days. If it drops any lower then you likely have an infection. If it hasn't changed then bottle it right then and there...

Hmmm...maybe this could be a good sour, crazily enough.

Bang the lid back on this thing, bury it in your basement for a year or so. Don't be alarmed by any loud thumping against the lid that you might hear, but definitely don't open it for a year. Don't screw around with temperature control, just leave it be - you *might* actually have an OK sour in several months. Given everything that has happened, this will probably be the most epic sour of all time. That's how brewing goes sometimes.

Also, get a Sharpie marker and write 'SOUR' on the lid and the bucket. Do not try to clean it out and brew a normal beer in it, you will likely get repeated infections.

Boil sterilize or toss everything that you stuck in this fermenter that you want to use to make normal beers. Toss is the safer option.

Next time, don't leave so much headspace in the fermentor and watch your temps.

Hmmm...maybe this could be a good sour, crazily enough.

Bang the lid back on this thing, bury it in your basement for a year or so. Don't be alarmed by any loud thumping against the lid that you might hear, but definitely don't open it for a year. Don't screw around with temperature control, just leave it be - you *might* actually have an OK sour in several months. Given everything that has happened, this will probably be the most epic sour of all time. That's how brewing goes sometimes.

Also, get a Sharpie marker and write 'SOUR' on the lid and the bucket. Do not try to clean it out and brew a normal beer in it, you will likely get repeated infections.

Boil sterilize or toss everything that you stuck in this fermenter that you want to use to make normal beers. Toss is the safer option.

Next time, don't leave so much headspace in the fermentor and watch your temps.

You wouldn't want to do extended aging in a bucket. It would likely oxidize really bad.

Your sounding a little like Thunder Chicken Little! I don't think the sky is falling quite yet...Shane's freaking out enough on his own! RDWHAHB brother. You were setting out to make a Saison. A little tartness (assuming there is actually some bacteria which I don't believe has been established) is fine. Saisons can benefit from some aging and you should minimize the headspace by racking to a 3 gal carboy. It will be worth the investment and you will be able to watch for signs of infection w/o introducing more O2 or further risk of contamination. Check out the pellicle thread...if it starts to look like the pic I posted earlier or one of the other pellicle pics you made a sour Saison!

Back