Sanke into mash tun. Need false bottom.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
Curious as to what you guys are using. I'm looking at Jaybird 15" hinged false bottom.Any of you use that? If so,do you use the stand and filter rings?

I use Jaybird's 15" hinged FB in my Keggle and it works awesome. I've used it as an MLT before as well and didn't have any need for the stand since I was just brewing a standard OG 5 gallon batch.

I use Jaybird's 15" hinged FB in my Keggle and it works awesome. I've used it as an MLT before as well and didn't have any need for the stand since I was just brewing a standard OG 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think the stand would be neccessary for 10 gallon batches?

Not sure, you'll have to ask Jaybird about that. His site recommends it for a grainbill 25 lbs or over, so my guess would probably be yes.

Its prolly best to have it as a stuck mash with that amount of grain would be a real pita.

I use a Jaybird 15" with a dip tube for all my 10 gallon batches (40+lb grain) and have never needed a stand underneath. The edge of the falsey lies flat right on the seam as the Sanke goes from vertical to conical. FYI. I did have cut a 45° angle on my dip tube to keep it from being pressed into the bottom of the keg, but otherwise it's been fine.

Good luck!
P

Oh, and if you go this route there is nearly 1 gallon of liquid beneath the false bottom. No problem since the dip tube rests nearly on the bottom, but I'd suggest filling this space before you add grain and mash-in. Seems to work better in establishing good filtration.

Oh, and if you go this route there is nearly 1 gallon of liquid beneath the false bottom. No problem since the dip tube rests nearly on the bottom, but I'd suggest filling this space before you add grain and mash-in. Seems to work better in establishing good filtration.

Thanks for the great info. You mean fill the space with water before adding grain?

I have a full sized false bottom. It's not Jaybirds, and I can't remember who made it, it it works great. The support probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but I wouldn't worry about the expensive "filtering" one. I've thought about building a diy support for mine, but haven't yet. Biggest batch I've don had 39 pounds of grain in it.

Thanks for the great info. You mean fill the space with water before adding grain?

Yup. Well milled grain can still pass through the false bottom, so by pre-filling the space beneath, you prevent immediate compaction by allowing more of grain to float and create your filtration bed.

If I could I would love to pipe in here. We do suggest a simple level 1 stand for most grain bills in the 10-12 gallon range. That said I sold this system for years without a stand with GREAT luck. The level 1 stand was created for guys going large mashes and then RIMS and HERMS came into play. The recirculation for the hour was causing the FB system to bow from the vacuum of the pump. The stand did such a great job we started suggesting it for all the systems. I started using the stand myself and really would never think of mashing in without a stand under the full 15" false bottom. I do, do big batches but just the added filtration has made the first runnings come out with much less grain. It just adds that extra level of filtration you cant get from any other system out there.

Hope that helps guys. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay,

Are you saying the "bowing" is contributing to grain pass through around the edges of the FB? Might be worth considering a stand. . . If I do have one complaint about my setup in a keggle with a 15" FB, it's that I do get stuck mashes, particularly during long recirculation. Surprisingly this happens more often with "less" grain (e.g. 5 gal batches, 10-12 lbs grain) than high-gravity 10 gal batches (40+ lbs of grain). I have played around with the option of starting out running at full bore, and then backing off, and also the reverse, and it's a crap shoot. Any advice?

To be honest, stuck mashes aren't really that big a deal. A couple of stirs with the old mash rake, a few minutes to let the grain bed settle out, and I'm back in business.

P

Hi Jay,

Are you saying the "bowing" is contributing to grain pass through around the edges of the FB? Might be worth considering a stand. . . If I do have one complaint about my setup in a keggle with a 15" FB, it's that I do get stuck mashes, particularly during long recirculation. Surprisingly this happens more often with "less" grain (e.g. 5 gal batches, 10-12 lbs grain) than high-gravity 10 gal batches (40+ lbs of grain). I have played around with the option of starting out running at full bore, and then backing off, and also the reverse, and it's a crap shoot. Any advice?

To be honest, stuck mashes aren't really that big a deal. A couple of stirs with the old mash rake, a few minutes to let the grain bed settle out, and I'm back in business.

P

P
What happens with large batches and long recircs is that when the FB does bow in the middle the center part of the FB separates a tad and grain can get through. To combat this we came up with the "level" stands. Level 1,2 and 3 level 1 is for the MLT, Level 2 is for the MLT and BK, and the level 3 is for full pellet hop filtration for the BK to separate Trub and pellet hop debris. The stands add a level of filtration that has been a much needed addition to all the false bottom systems out there. Smaller batches dont bow the false bottoms as much but they still get the bennies of the "level" stands with the added filtration and strength to the systems.
My suggestion is if you are using a 15" false bottom (mine or any others) get a level 1 stand and have me notch it for your hinges. (PM me for details) then when you start your recirc go full tilt for about 1 to 2 gallons then back off to your drain rate. I try and shoot for a 60 min sparge so I just do the calcs on the flow rate (12 gallons to the BK x 4= 48 qts / 60 min= .08 Qts per min) and go from there. Its how I do it and have (knock on wood) never had a stuck mash when using a 15" and level 1 stand in my MLT.
Hope that helps clear things up a bit.....

Cheers
Jay

Wow! How the heck did I miss these? :smack: Are they new or something? I ordered my hinged with handle 15" FB from you a couple of years back. Sounds like it's time for an "upgrade". I'll PM you to confirm details, and place an order ASAP . . . thanks! or maybe you should be saying "thanks" ;)

Back