Style based suggestion software?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noggins

Reaction score
I'm looking for software or website that I can build recipes by telling it what type of beer I want to brew and it very simply suggests the best way to do it with things like grain and adjunct ratios and hops and yeast and water profile recommendations as if I'm just a guy that likes to make and drink beer and not some nerd that wants to spend all my free time learning about BJCP styles and guidelines...

please oh please?? thanks!:tank:

As a 'nerd who spends all his free time learning about BJCP guidelines and how ingredients work' I invite you to stick to kits and avoid insulting those who can formulate their own recipes.

I officially give up on this forum. you win.

Last edited:
Well, Jesus. How disappointing! That's the shortest spat I've ever seen on HBT. I'm going to bed now.

Well, Jesus. How disappointing! That's the shortest spat I've ever seen on HBT. I'm going to bed now.

What! Lip sync battle just came on! You gotta watch:ban:

Back on topic why not just search the beer recipe section of this forum or just use the google for the type of recipe you want? Or get the book how to brew, It has a ton of recipes in it. I understand sometimes people want everything done for them but sometimes we have to work for what we want. I don't know of such a program that exists. Until then these may be your only options.

Right!

And if the OP is really gone he needs to grow some thicker skin! One negative response and he gives up? And will no longer have access to one of the greatest places to learn about brewing, at whatever level desired!

Nah, that reply was a little rough, but no need to give up. For what it's worth, I thought your request was a little humorous, but not out of the realm of possibility. I'm going to work on the software now, but I don't have a lot of sober free time, so check back in a few years for a progress report.

I didn't think I was being too rough.

He asked for 'software or websites' that would provide recipes with little/no input from the end user. There are no brewing software packages like that, and it would be an impossibility to even write something like that, given the nearly limitless ingredient combination possibilities.

He also tossed in this little nugget, that came across a little insulting/negative: "as if I'm just a guy that likes to make and drink beer and not some nerd that wants to spend all my free time learning about BJCP styles and guidelines..."

As a self-professed nerd, I decided to needle him back a bit, is all.

At the end of the day, if you don't care enough to learn how to design recipes or are not interested enough in the hobby to do so and just want to make beer, then kits are probably your best option.

Alright nerds, we got a little off track there for a second I apologize for offending any of you nerds...now then, back to the issue.

I guess this is what I was thinking of...you pick a category and style, and it tells you the profile, suggests some recipes, lets you make your own recipe from scratch or use a sample recipe and gives you recommendations and warnings based on your recipe input. When you choose a fermentable it gives you the recommended amount based on the style and other items in your recipe, and as you add and change fermentables it adjusts the amounts of each to stick within style guidelines. Same idea with hops, adjusting the recipe as you change the input. I guess it would also give yeast recommendations, water profile adjustments, etc etc blah blah blah blah. I've always thought something like this would be useful to help build new original recipes from scratch...

I'm all for building this myself and giving it away, but if such a thing already exists I'll just use that instead. I've looked at a couple other sites and software and haven't really seen anything that does this soooo...is this a good idea or am I just being a dumdum?

BrewJitsu1.jpg

BrewJitsu2.jpg

BrewJitsu3.jpg

BrewJitsu4.jpg

p.s. anyone who is a brewing nerd and gets offended by being called a brewing nerd doesn't deserve to be called a brewing nerd :mug:

This is pretty much what Brewing Classic Styles is all about.

The best part is that it's a BOOK! Books still work when your computer crashes.

TLDR...the Hop Character Wheel is pretty awesome though

Is this the Brewing Books forum? I think not. :off:

Back