Struggling to find Alkalinity of my water source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonGavlar

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm finally in my new home and can get back to brewing again after a long break.

I'm just trying to put together my water profile for the new area I'm living in but my water report doesn't contain Alkalinity or Bicarbonate levels as far as I can see...

Here's my local areas report: http://cdn.southeastwater.co.uk/Files/Crowthorne.pdf

Am I just being blind? If not, could anyone help me out putting together a profile based on this report, I'd be very grateful.

All the best,

Don

You are correct, Total Alkalinity isn't listed. Just using the ions typically of concern to brewing, a Total Alkalinity (as HCO3) of about 286 ppm would balance. If your software wants Total Alkalinity "as CaCO3," that would be 234 ppm.

ETA: I used the "mean" values listed.

You are correct, Total Alkalinity isn't listed. Just using the ions typically of concern to brewing, a Total Alkalinity (as HCO3) of about 286 ppm would balance. If your software wants Total Alkalinity "as CaCO3," that would be 234 ppm.

ETA: I used the "mean" values listed.
Thank you for the swift response!

I'm sorry, the software I'm using actually calls for Bicarbonate. So that would be the 286 ppm you mentioned?

1603138111972.png

So does the above look correct? Ignore the Ph level its a guess as I cant see ph levels and won't be able to get to my ph reader until tomorrow.

Technically, if you want to estimate Bicarbonate from Total Alkalinity, you need to know the pH. But I think you'd be fine using the 286 total alkalinity (as HCO3) as the "bicarbonate" number for now. Unless your drinking water has a pretty atypical pH, you'll be close.

Technically, if you want to estimate Bicarbonate from Total Alkalinity, you need to know the pH. But I think you'd be fine using the 286 total alkalinity (as HCO3) as the "bicarbonate" number for now. Unless your drinking water has a pretty atypical pH, you'll be close.

Ok great, thanks.

Last question if you don't mind.. Is my water here a bit too hard for brewing my preferred styles (APA's, IPAs, Red/Amber ales). It seems a little high from what I remember being my old targets, but I'm far from an expert.

Last question if you don't mind.. Is my water here a bit too hard for brewing my preferred styles (APA's, IPAs, Red/Amber ales). It seems a little high from what I remember being my old targets, but I'm far from an expert.

I've seen worse. I think you can make it work for those styles. I wouldn't use it for a Czech Pilsner or something like that.

I've seen worse. I think you can make it work for those styles. I wouldn't use it for a Czech Pilsner or something like that.
Hi @VikeMan sorry me again.

So I now know the pH of my water is 7.3. So how do I now work out my bicarbonate value?

Back