Strong Ale/Wee Heavy Fermentation Time & Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I found this thread and it's recent. I too made a 1.090 Wee heavy w/ edinburgh yeast 028. Fermented at 65 for about 4 days then raised one degree a day to 68 till ferment completed at 1.030. After 10 days I raised to 72F and if it did anything it was clean up the diacityl and high alcohol but the gravity never went any lower. I made a starter w/ one vile and threw the yeast cake from a 5 gallon batch of 80/- in together on a 10 gallon batch. It took off fast. The beer tastes less heavy than you would think for a 1.030 beer.

So my question is what do I do now. This beer is 3 weeks old this coming Sunday. Would you move it to two kegs and throw in a fridge somewhere for storage? Should I fully carbonate? I may buy one of these 8gallon barrels the AHA sells and fill it up. If that's the case I probably shouldn't carbonate the beer at all, correct? Your thoughts please.

Back