Strike water and sparge water amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlieatthedisco

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question but what iphone brew software offers these calculations on a brew day ( if not all)?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've never relied on software for my water calculations. I use the formula of 1.5 qts/lb grain for strike water. I measure the amount drained from the first runnings, subtract that from the pre-boil volume. Whatever that number is is what I sparge with.

I've never relied on software for my water calculations. I use the formula of 1.5 qts/lb grain for strike water. I measure the amount drained from the first runnings, subtract that from the pre-boil volume. Whatever that number is is what I sparge with.

How much if any water do you loose when sparging? And do you consider that in your calculations? Thanks for the response!

How much if any water do you loose when sparging? And do you consider that in your calculations? Thanks for the response!

You don't lose any water when sparging. This is because during the mash, the grain has absorbed as much water as it could have. Sparging is simply rinsing with no loss to absorption.

I just started using Brewer's Friend on the iphone (already have been using it on the desktop). There are calculators in there, but I don't know about the free version.

Latest posts

Back