Stout conditioning and taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vadem

Reaction score
I brewed AHS Oatmeal stout (extract) and it has been bottled for about 6 weeks. The few I have tasted (the latest about a weeks ago) have had what I would describe as a fairly strong alcohol taste, maybe even a whiskey or bourbon hint. I added the 1% alcohol boost (might not have needed it). I know that stout takes longer to condition than lower gravity beers (this one had OG at 1.064 and FG 1.014- 6.4% ABV) but was wondering about others' experiences with stouts and how long it took to mellow out. I'm keeping Revvy's words and advice about patience in mind as I go through this, but occasional positive reinforcement is always good ;) This was my second brew.

Thanks!

what was your fermentation temperature (actual temp, not ambient)? Could be fusel alcohols you are tasting, which can result from a high fermentation temp.

Still, if its bottled you might as well set it aside and keep trying one every few weeks or so.

My stouts take between 2 and 4 months to get really smooth and good. The darker the grains and the higher the alcohol the longer they take to get fully mature. Since you have a stout with an alcohol boost I'd suspect that 3 to 4 months would be a good target.

I just brewed this (AHS Oatmeal Stout) a month ago with the boost as well. Already carbed up in the keg and tastes great.

My guess is the same as above... too high fermentation temps (I kept mine at 60 degree ambient) and the taste will go away in a few weeks.

For what it's worth, after it mellows out it's probably the best beer I have made from a kit....

yeah, probably fermentation temp. I've found Safeale US-05 is pretty forgiving in terms of top end temperature. I brewed a pale ale one weekend this summer and had to leave it the following week. It must have fermented in the upper 70's (usually use water bath and ice bottles to regulate), but it turned out decent to very good once kegged for a month. Just did a Porter with 1/2 lb brown sugar boost. It fermented around 70-72 and my first bottle yesterday was very good, no alcohol taste whatsoever.

Thanks everyone. True, I was fermenting during warm times but I did keep it in a swamp cooler and tried to maintain in the mid 60s or so (with ice packs), with occasional rises to 70. I'm going to just sit tight and see what happens in the next months. I don't want to taste too many of them too early in case it turns out to be great later and I don't have enough left to enjoy :)

My stouts take between 2 and 4 months to get really smooth and good. The darker the grains and the higher the alcohol the longer they take to get fully mature. Since you have a stout with an alcohol boost I'd suspect that 3 to 4 months would be a good target.

Resurrection.

Is this the rule for most stouts? So far I've read bottled beer should taste pretty decent at the 3-4 week mark of bottle conditioning. However, as usual, there's always exceptions. The first two beers I made (extract) have been conditioning for a little over two weeks. I was going to sample one today since I consider it an "extra" (the 49th beer) chocolate stout.

Does that mean I shouldn't even bother since it's a stout and get used to waiting months for them to condition?

Resurrection.

Is this the rule for most stouts? So far I've read bottled beer should taste pretty decent at the 3-4 week mark of bottle conditioning. However, as usual, there's always exceptions. The first two beers I made (extract) have been conditioning for a little over two weeks. I was going to sample one today since I consider it an "extra" (the 49th beer) chocolate stout.

Does that mean I shouldn't even bother since it's a stout and get used to waiting months for them to condition?

No, not at all. In general, the more complex and higher alcohol beers take longer to come together and mellow, but if the beer is already a few weeks old, it's had some time.

If it's a super complex, high ABV roasty stout, it may benefit from some age, but in most other beers, it just gets old.

No, not at all. In general, the more complex and higher alcohol beers take longer to come together and mellow, but if the beer is already a few weeks old, it's had some time.

If it's a super complex, high ABV roasty stout, it may benefit from some age, but in most other beers, it just gets old.

Ok thanks, this one isn't too complex. I've become infatuated with the Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, so I don't have high expectations for my extract chocolate stout, but before conditioning I sampled and it was very smooth and refreshing. It's only around 4.5% and was simple to make.

6lbs LME
Specialty Grains : 1lb flaked barley, 1lb chocolate, 4oz black patent
Boil hops : 1oz Williamette ; Aroma hops : 1oz fuggle

Perhaps I'll try that extra today then. I doubt I'll have any desire to taste green beer when I get my all-grain setup going but I've never tasted two week old beer before. Three weeks is minimum for bottle conditioning based on what I've read. It's my first beer ever, so I just want to see if it's even been carbonating no matter how closely I followed instructions, I could've messed up some how. I've done 5 extract batches and have been very patient, I think I'd like to treat myself to some potentially green beer :eek:

Ok thanks, this one isn't too complex. I've become infatuated with the Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, so I don't have high expectations for my extract chocolate stout, but before conditioning I sampled and it was very smooth and refreshing. It's only around 4.5% and was simple to make.

6lbs LME
Specialty Grains : 1lb flaked barley, 1lb chocolate, 4oz black patent
Boil hops : 1oz Williamette ; Aroma hops : 1oz fuggle

Perhaps I'll try that extra today then. I doubt I'll have any desire to taste green beer when I get my all-grain setup going but I've never tasted two week old beer before. Three weeks is minimum for bottle conditioning based on what I've read. It's my first beer ever, so I just want to see if it's even been carbonating no matter how closely I followed instructions, I could've messed up some how. I've done 5 extract batches and have been very patient, I think I'd like to treat myself to some potentially green beer :eek:

In my opinion, your beer really isn't a stout but that's just my opinion. Go ahead and sample one. I've sampled one of mine as early as 24 hours from bottling. With the recipe you posted I don't think your beer needs months to smooth out. 3-5 weeks would be more likely.

I've made a stout with caramel, black patent, and roasted barley with about 8% alcohol. That took quite a while to smooth out.

In my opinion, your beer really isn't a stout but that's just my opinion. Go ahead and sample one. I've sampled one of mine as early as 24 hours from bottling. With the recipe you posted I don't think your beer needs months to smooth out. 3-5 weeks would be more likely.

I've made a stout with caramel, black patent, and roasted barley with about 8% alcohol. That took quite a while to smooth out.

Alright, it's just an extract kit I got from a site when I had started the hobby. I'm not familiar with the nuances of what would make something what, but sounds like I should be good at three weeks no matter.

Resurrection.

I don't think it's a rule per se - you would know what your beer does better than most. I do agree that generally, with higher alcohol beers, with more roasted grains, it can take longer for everything to really work in harmony. That said, I've brewed a recipe several times, an imperial oatmeal stout, and sometimes it's ready to drink immediately, sometimes it takes a while. it may have to do with the age of the grains, but I don't know for sure.

I'm tasting my stout as we speak! I am not disappointed in the flavor. I am used to stouts, anywhere from 8%+ so the beer itself is a bit weak in the alcohol department but packs a near perfect flavor for an extract kit.

There was a very small amount of carbonation, I dumped the beer into the glass around the halfway point on the bottle and got a slow head building up no more than a couple of centimeters. I will be giving it probably another week before I share it, if not two+. There's a chance I didn't leave it in the fridge long enough, I forgot to put it in late last night so it was only thing there for.. 12 hours or so when I remembered. I'm guessing 2-3 or more days in the fridge will help the carbonation process.

Overall, I love this hobby and beer :) Going to build a pulley structure soon for those 10 gallon BIAB Wisler batches.

Back