Storing Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
Does anyone store grain? I live a ways away from my LHBS. Not looking for people with an entire grain barn, just wondering if people save grain somehow for a few months and if so, how do they do it? Maybe a few pounds at a time. Any thoughts?

I store a sack of base malt in an air tight food storage container. The rest I have from MoreBeer in 5 or 1 lb bags. All of my specialty grains are in one lb bags and are in a box on top of my container. At most I have maybe 75lbs on hand.

I have about 200 lbs on hand. I keep it in ziplock bags to keep dry and bugs away, and in plastic containers to keep rodents out. Keep in basement (60 - 70 F year round).

Most is uncrushed, and I have no problem with keeping for a couple of years.

I do have a few lbs of crushed grain, which is in original sealed bags. I have no problem with keeping it for 6 months or so, but once the bag is opened, I try and use it all at once. If I were to keep it, I think I'd try and use it up in a couple of months.

What goes off? First to go are artificial (or process created) flavors such as smoke. Diastatic power reduces over time too, so it you are mashing and using something like Munich as a base malt, you might need to add some 2-row to ensure you have enough enzymes to do the job. I think malt flavors are lost at the slowest rate of all the aspects of grain.

I have over 300# on-hand. Some in primary buckets others in smaller buckets.

If you have a WalMart nearby that has a bakery you can buy their frosting buckets w/lids for $1. A good washing and an overnight soak in Oxy will get out most of the sugar odor. More days the better. I have at least a dozen of them. The larger icing buckets can hold 17# barley or 19# wheat.

A vacuum sealer will extend the life of crushed grain considerably. If you BIAB, a blender will crush your grain a couple of cups at a time. This takes no longer than heating strike water. A corona style mill costs $25 on amazon.

I have about 135 lbs right now. I buy in bulk when our homebrew club buys with a local brewery. I get Briess pale ale malt for $25/bag.

I store my in pet food containers. The work well and stack. (I also store my Traeger pellet grill pellets in one).

From what I've read, you probably don't want to store milled grains for very long. I know brewing budgets can get tight, but I got my Cereal Killer mill for about $90 on sale. It was one of my better brewing investments.

200-300 lbs of malt on hand? WOW! You guys must brew a TON! Running a LHBS maybe?

True. I have at least 10 kegs full right now. I have 4 batches in primaries and secondaries, 4 more recipes already made into "kits" and another 10 empty kegs in the line-up.

I live out in Farmland, USA. My "local" brew store is 35 miles away. I call them and place an order and they email me when it's all on-hand.

I've been retired for almost 8 years. In an average year, I go into "the cities" less than once a month. I used to work there. I just picked up supplies after work.

I didn't go into town for over 6 months one year.

I buy a couple 50lb sacks of different types of grain and vacuum seal it in 10lb bags.
It keeps all of the bugs and other random rot out.
IMG_5927.jpg

I order my grain crushed for BIAB. It has been in the fridge for even as long as a year. No issues. Brews went great. I've done this a couple times now. Maybe lucky so far.

Does anyone store grain? I live a ways away from my LHBS. Not looking for people with an entire grain barn, just wondering if people save grain somehow for a few months and if so, how do they do it? Maybe a few pounds at a time. Any thoughts?

I have done grain that I have had for two years. The last Moore at thing is trump and humidity control. My brewery stays between 65 and 79 @ 45 Per cent humidity.

I have done grain that I have had for two years. The last Moore at thing is trump and humidity control. My brewery stays between 65 and 79 @ 45 Per cent humidity.
So a garage wouldn't be a great idea since the temps would he all over the place throughout the year?

I have a friend that uses an old refrigerator in his basement for storing sacks of grain. The fridge is not even plugged in, he just uses it to keep the mice at bay. He brews a lot, so he goes through it fairly quickly.

Does anyone store grain?
Many years ago I stored my grains in modified dog-food containers.

GrainBin22.jpg

Not looking for people with an entire grain barn, just wondering if people save grain somehow for a few months and if so, how do they do it? Maybe a few pounds at a time. Any thoughts?
Now I store the grains in home brewer size grain silos.

I had my lhbs mill the grain bill for my American brown ale in October last year. Life happened and those grains sat in my beer fridge til I brewed them on St Patrick's Day weekend. Just bottled this brew and it was delicious!!

So, if carefully stored and protected, milled grain can last a while with minimal detriment. Unmilled can be stored a couple of years easily.

You should be fine with standard 3.5, 4, 5, 6, & 7gal buckets (including Brew Buckets).

I keep them sealed in vapor proof bags and keep them in a cooler with tight fitting lid ,so mice cant find their way to them.

Most of those can be bought online for cheap, or local pet stores. I've never seen them above 20lb storage size though, so if they are bigger it may be harder to find.

Also, it was a year ago they posted, May help to Pm them

Back