Stirring during dough in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodspe1968

Reaction score
Is it possible to mix too much or too vigorously? I used a paint mixer during dough in for my last batch. I ended up with a stuck sparge as if the grain had been milled to fine. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it just me?

I've never used a paint mixer, seems a bit extreme. I do 5 gallon brew in a bag batches, stir while I add grain and give it a good stir while the temp stabilizes.

The mixing should have no effect on whether you get a stuck sparge unless it is further grinding up the husks somehow.

Stir until you have no dough balls. Using a paint mixer is like using a chainsaw to cut down a flower to put in a vase.

Wouldn’t mixing too much cause oxidation I’ve always read to minimize oxidation at all points except just before pitching

Wouldn’t mixing too much cause oxidation I’ve always read to minimize oxidation at all points except just before pitching

Until the recent LODO, there was not much concern with oxidation on the hot side. It was always best to limit except when aerating prior to adding yeast. I get very good beers without going to the trouble of LODO, so at present it is not worth it to me to do LODO.

Hot side aeration is always one of those topics people have varying opinions on, but I usually stir as I pour in to avoid dough balls. I recently started using a drill with a stainless steel mash paddle with no ill side effects.

I purchased a wood Bayou Classic 35 inch stirrer and drilled varying sized holes in it. Works like a charm; like Brewers I stir as I add and have yet to have any problems (dough balls, stuck sparge, etc.). I worry way more about aeration when I'm bottling/kegging.

I had this exact issue; I think it was my second all grain batch if memory serves. Stirred it into a whirlwind. I think what happened is that the excessive stirring caused enough whirlpool to lift up the false bottom and let grain under, but that is just my guess.

Ever since I've stirred just enough to break up the dough balls to get a uniform consistency and have not had the issue again.

Last edited:
Dough balls while mashing in are such a pain. Mashing in used to be such a drag for this reason; I'd have to pour a bit of grain in, stir, pour a bit more in, stir, and so on. What I do now is have my kettle raised up a bit and put my Igloo cooler mash tun on the ground, so I can gravity drain my strike water into the MT. Both the kettle and the MT have barbed valves near the bottom, so the heated strike water flows out of the kettle and enters the grain bed in the MT from the bottom. No dough balls, I just open the valves and walk away while the strike water mixes with the grains. Honestly, this is one of the best enhancements I've made to my process because I used to find the doughing-in process such a pain in the ass.

I use a giant whisk. It's awesome.

I too got an 18" whisk. The wires slice through the doughballs. Before than I used a paddle that I carved out of an oak branch that fell in my back yard. It was somewhat tedious. I would squash the balls against the side of the tun. It never took more than about 5 minutes. I tried a little at a time in the beginning, that made it even more tedious, so I just dump all the grain in then stir.

Your wort is fully oxidized unless a low oxygen brewing procedure is used. Therefore no amount of stirring the mash will be "too much".

@Rodspe1968
What sort of methods are you using for lautering and sparging? Do you have your own mill?

Rice hulls are a simple tool to help prevent a stuck sparge.

Back