yeast not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I added a yeast starter from a previous batch to my most recent batch but it doesn't seem to be working. after bottling my last batch I put the yeast into a water bottle and put it in the fridge to let the water and yeast separate. A couple hours before I was ready to pitch the yeast I took it from the fridge, poured off the water and added cooled wort from my current batch. Then I dumped the starter into the wort a couple hours later. That was yesterday and there is no action and the yeast has all settled to the bottom. What did I do wrong? Should I just pitch a packet of dry yeast?

Should I just pitch a packet of dry yeast?

No. Leave it alone and give it 72 hours from the time you pitched the yeast. If you're basing this on lack of airlock activity, a small leak can let the CO2 escape so that the airlock does nothing. It's still fermenting. The only way to know for sure is as hydro reading at 72 hours.

How old was the slurry you used? What strain?

What was your pitching and fermenting temp?

The slurry was 2 days old and strain was safale 04 dry yeast. The wort I used to make the starter may have been a little warm. I wonder if it killed the yeast. I didn't think it was that warm.

Well I pitched at 100degrees an it was fine. But anything more then that and I'd worry. I just pitched my first washed yeast starter on my wort and its been 7 hours and still nothing for me. I pitched it at 74degrees. Should be fine. I have made lots of beer and they all start within a few hours. I'm just starting to worry myself. Like they say just let it be and see what happens.

When pitching an abundance of fresh slurry, lots of folks report a lag until the second day and then it takes off like a rocket.

Have a blow-off tube handy or already rigged.;)

Latest posts

Back