Stir Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdaddy

Reaction score
What would you suggest to use as a stir bar??? if we can make a stir plate from junk computer parts .... i then dont wont to buy a stir bar.
Yes im cheap!!!Money saved is beer brewed!!!
Thanks Les

I built my stirplate because I knew i could... I can't make a stirbar that i can guarantee will be sterile and balanced

I don't think you'd be able to make one for less than you could buy one. You could just drop a bar magnet in your wort if you aren't worried about sanitation, I suppose...

Actually.... I was at harbor freight one day and found these: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices I used six inside a length of 5/16" ID tubing and used silicone on the ends to seal it up and it works great. I had the tubing from my racking cane (I'm not going to miss a couple of inches) and the silicone so it costed $2 for my stir bar.

I've seen magnets like that at Radio Shack as well.........

Actually.... I was at harbor freight one day and found these: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices I used six inside a length of 5/16" ID tubing and used silicone on the ends to seal it up and it works great. I had the tubing from my racking cane (I'm not going to miss a couple of inches) and the silicone so it costed $2 for my stir bar.

That's a really good idea. You should post a "DIY stir bar thread" and document the process. I read about others melting the edges of the tube together to seal.

Back