Step up mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st_brewer

Reaction score
Hello siblings of the web

I posted a short time ago about my microbrewery project and with regret finance has hindered me....

So I donned my grinder and drill said a prayer and cannibalised a "difficult" keg.

The result was a keggle, now with a swan neck pipe on the outlet and a ball valve in let I believe I have transformed a 50 litre batch process into a 240 litre batch.

Basically I put enough malt in for a 240 litre batch into the keggle, fill it with water and mash, after an hour I very slowly add warm water and the swan neck transports the overflow to the second keggle (which functions as the hop back), after another hour the hop back is switched on and the process starts again, the final resting place is my 240 litre transport barrel (modified to be a fermenter)

In essence a standard 50 litre set up can produce 240 litres with a greater period of time allowed. As my old man said fortune favours the patient.

The saint

Back