STC-1000 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just plug the fridge into the cool outlet and place the probe inside the fridge. If you have anything in the freezer compartment, it probably won't stay frozen.

Unless you need a temperature less than about 36F, in which case you will need to disable the fridge's thermostat.

Unless you need a temperature less than about 36F, in which case you will need to disable the fridge's thermostat.

I dont think this is correct, as long as the probe is in the fridge it should control the fridge my cycling the power and compressor when needed.

It can't cool the fridge below its minimum temperature though as the fridges thermostat will cut it off

I dont think this is correct, as long as the probe is in the fridge it should control the fridge my cycling the power and compressor when needed.

The STC1000 temp controller is a secondary controller to the built-in refrigerator's thermostat. If the fridge's thermostat is disabled then the STC becomes the primary controller. This is correct.

The STC1000 temp controller is a secondary controller to the built-in refrigerator's thermostat. If the fridge's thermostat is disabled then the STC becomes the primary controller. This is correct.

I agree, I was just trying to say that disabling the fridge thermostat is not necessarily needed to use an STC to control said fridge. You would only run into issues if the fridge controller is set really high, then the STC wont enable cooler lower than that temp.

I have a fridge which I very rarely control with an STC, most of the time it's just an extra fridge for food, so I dont disable the fridge thermostat because I want to use it later. The STC does fine in these cases as the fridge thermostat is set to normal fridge temps and i run my lagers at 50F.

What about running a deep freezer with one? I read somewhere where it's not recommended if it's got a defrost mode? The reason I ask is I have a spare deep freezer I am currently using for food that works and a fridge that is not cooling efficiently that I would have to fix...anyway, thanks for the replies!

I can't think of a problem with a deep freeze and STC1000, and I didn't know about the defrost mode issue (good to know).

What about running a deep freezer with one? I read somewhere where it's not recommended if it's got a defrost mode? The reason I ask is I have a spare deep freezer I am currently using for food that works and a fridge that is not cooling efficiently that I would have to fix...anyway, thanks for the replies!

The only problem (that I've heard) running a deep freezer with a STC is the problem (unrelated to the STC itself) of the cooling lines rusting out and leaking coolant. I have a new freezer I converted into a keezer (using an STC) and haven't found this problem, but it has been mentioned as a possible problem down the road.

Back