STC-1000 & Fermentation Chamber Configuration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1n

Reaction score
So i got a GE 7 cu ft Chest Freezer as my ferm chamber. I got a STC-1000 unit and made a temp controller. I also bought a lil ceramic heater to heat and placed in the freezer.

My config at the moment is

F1 - 18.0 C
F2 - .5
F3 - 5 Min
F4 - 0

So with this config it would kick on the freezer at 18.5 and would shut off at 17.5. The problem is that it would go below 17.5 even after the freezer shut off and then it kicks on the heater til it hits 18.5. so it goes back and forth heating and cooling. i had to disconnect the heater and just let it raise naturally. The problem is right now its cold at night and warm during the day. i want the ability to heat and cool but if i keep the heater plugged in it keeps fighting the freezer. The freezer is in my non-insulated garage.

Do you have a fan to circulate the air? That will help even out the temp swings.

Also you want to tape and insulate the probe to what is being fermented so you aren't measuring the air temperature.

I had a similar problem when I first set mine up. It took about 2 days for it to acclimate, now it holds a steady temperature without all the flip flop of going cool then heat then back to cool.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Do you have a fan to circulate the air? That will help even out the temp swings.

Also you want to tape and insulate the probe to what is being fermented so you aren't measuring the air temperature.

Probe is taped and insulated to the carboy. the heater has a fan on it so it blows hot air around. other than that no fan.

I had a similar problem when I first set mine up. It took about 2 days for it to acclimate, now it holds a steady temperature without all the flip flop of going cool then heat then back to cool.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What was your settings?

I have an upright freezer in a detached garage. My settings right now are:
F1 - 13.4C
F2 - 0.3C
F3 - 3
F4 - 0

I have a hefeweizen and a dampfbier going.

When I'm fermenting, I run two fans all the time. I have an array of computer fans on the top and a desk fan sitting in the bottom. I also generally have 10 - 12 gallons going at once. The fermentation generates most of the heat needed, so just the cold side runs.

When I'm don't have active fermentation, I just run the computer fans to save electricity. The computer fans don't quite circulate enough air to keep the temp in the chamber even.

Thanks for the advice. i got a small desk fan i dont use that would fit nicely in there. might just do that.

Back