Valve on bottom of boil kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsayers

Reaction score
I've been considering adding a valve and false bottom to one of my boil kettles to make it easier to transfer wort to the fermenter and filter out leaf hops when i use them.. Other than having to use a stand with a hole in the center, is there any reason I couldn't put the valve on the bottom of the kettle and eliminate dead space?

Thanks in advance,
JB

Two difficulties: 1) most burners direct fire the bottom of the kettle, so your valve would be getting flamed as well; 2) getting any kind of connections to the valve would be a real pain in the butt.

Just attach a diptube to the inside bulkhead. I have virtually zero wort left behind in my keggle, and most of that is break material or hop gunk anyway.

1) Go electric.

2) Tri-clamps and quick disconnects. Of course, the only time you're going to really remove a connection from the BK is when you're going to clean it.

A lot of people use a bottom valve, especially on a keggle. Leave the factory neck on it and cut the bottom of the keg off, flip it upside down and you have a 2" tri-clamp connector.

It comes down to personal preference... after the colossal failure of my new $25 dip tube, I'm seriously thinking about cutting the bottom off my last keg and going that route.

All my direct fired tanks are bottom drain and fill, look closely.
Between the burners and valves is a heat shield installed and the burners are mounted to the rear.

Brewery-2008 (6).jpg

BrewKettle1.jpg

Wholly crap do you work at Nasa? I wouldnt even know how to light the burners on that thing. Cool set up can you brew from outer space? Makes my set up look like a hillbilly croc pot.

Thanks for all the replies and advice! Impressive looking setup CladiusB! Makes me want to get medieval on my brew rig!

Cheers!
JB

Back