Starter timing???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsAreGood

Reaction score
Due to unforeseen circumstances I only just got my hands on my liquid yeast that I intend to pitch tonight around 8-8:30. Usually I make my starter 24-48 hours before pitching and let it sit in the fridge before decanting and then pitching. My question is will it be ok if I “make” the starter now and pitch it in 8 hours? I suppose it will be actively fermenting at that time rather than have fermented out completely as I usually do.

Thanks

I've done it. Just pitch the whole starter instead of refrigerating and decanting. Depending on the size of your starter, maybe just make a small adjustment in the water you use for the brew.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I only just got my hands on my liquid yeast that I intend to pitch tonight around 8-8:30. Usually I make my starter 24-48 hours before pitching and let it sit in the fridge before decanting and then pitching. My question is will it be ok if I “make” the starter now and pitch it in 8 hours? I suppose it will be actively fermenting at that time rather than have fermented out completely as I usually do.

Thanks

How did it work out?

I often make my starter the night before and pitch it about 18 hours later. I just made a starter and I am debating about brewing up that 2.5 gal batch of Saison this evening or waiting until tomorrow as planned. I am not too worried either way. It is a Omega pack that should have 1.5B cells and the batch is only 2.5 gals but the yeast is about 4 month old.

Back