Conical Process Help needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
So a few years ago I bought my self a Blichmann Ferminator for my birthday and I use it pretty frequently but have never had much success in draining the yeast out.

Each time I have tried I seem to get more beer than yeast and panic and shut it down. So I just let it collect as if it was a bucket.

Usually the stuff is so compacted at the end that I have to shove a hose down throught the yeast to get it out when cleaning.

I don’t have the extended legs and have an “elbow” on the bottom and have wondered if this is part of my problem.

Why am I asking for help?

Well I would like to start harvesting a little yeast. Not so much because of the expense but just so I don’t have to run out to my LHBS when I want to brew and I am planning on trying some yeast “blending” to use in a few IPAs that I plan to age for an extended period.

So Conical Users: how do you do this?

I had the same issue when I startedwith my conical. How soon do you try your first dump? I usually wait a week and then do a dump. I agitate the fermenter, tap the side of the cone with a rubber mallet, and wait a few more days and then harvest the yeast. In an effort to automate, I took the advice from one of these threads and visited an adult store and bought one of those vibrating bullets. I use it to agitate and it works great. On another note, if you let the yeast sit too long it will become compacted and you will have the problem you are describing. Tapping it should break the yeast free.

If it's having trouble coming out because the yeast is compacted:

1) Don't be afraid to let is sit with the valve wide open for a while. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the yeast plug to slide out. Just be prepared to close the valve quickly when it does come, or you will lose all your beer!

2) make sure you have removed the airlock or the pressure release valve so that a little air can get in the top. Otherwise, the vacuum pressure will likely keep the yeast plug from coming out at all.

I always let the yeast settle until it compacts, otherwise too much beer comes out when you are trying to collect the yeast.

2) make sure you have removed the airlock or the pressure release valve so that a little air can get in the top. Otherwise, the vacuum pressure will likely keep the yeast plug from coming out at all.

Thanks,

I am considering getting the legs or building a structure for the fermentor. Then getting rid of the elbox and attaching a (for the lack of a better term) yeast catcher to the bottom...

The idea being that some of the yeast will fall all the way through and I will not have to do a thing...

I have seen a couple designs so just need to build and test it...

Latest posts

Back