Kegerator Help Please Co2 All gone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splitbux

Reaction score
Hello, i DO NOT brew my own beer or anything and i know thats what this forum is about but i have no where else to turn to. Im sure some of you would be nice enough to answer a couple questions i have. I just bought a cheap kegerator NEW for the first time ever. I filled 2.5lb co2 tank it came with and got the temp of this 1/2 barrel bud light keg down to 38 degrees. I didn't strap the co2 tank with the band or bungee because it was too tight to do and it tipped over after 4 days of great pours and i didnt find out until the next day. The pressure in keg went up to 30 and the co2 tank which i just got filled is now empty. What happened? when it tipped did it mess up the regulator in some way and cause it to send all the co2 into my keg? is my beer ruined? this is a new kegerator from nostalgia and is the cheapest and well reviewed(best bang for buck) it Comes with a cheap dual regulator which seemed to work fine for 4 days which is when the co2 fell over(i now have it strapped). I pulled the relief pin on the keg and released all the pressure and am going to refill the co2 first thing tomorrow. Any hints or tips on what happened. Any help is greatly appreciated.

When the co2 tank fell over, liquid co2 was pushed out rather than gas. Very dangerous situation. You'll need to vent the excess pressure from the keg. As far as the regulator goes, it's a fairly simple device so it may have well have survived. Only way to be sure is to try it.

Most people burn through their first tank rather quickly with leaks and the like. It seems to be par for the kegerator course. Nothing should be damaged. Give it a fill and try again, check for leaks and you should be good.

If you damaged the regulator and sent liquid CO2 into the keg, chances are it all vented out from your coupler's pressure release valve. Either that or you have a leak.

how do i check for leaks? should i just poke around and listen for any hissing noise?

Yep, the soapy water method works great. I lost my first TWO tanks of gas (two different leaks).

Back