One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wait a sec- the term sweetbreads apparently has more than one meaning- one being what i know as sweetbreads; calf or lamb thymus gland, and another being, well, balls. so which meaning are we talking about here?? thymus sweetbreads can be divine, dredged in flour, fried quickly, served with rich sauces, then i too can get a bit overenthusiastic about them, or they can indeed be too much, overcooked, tough, gamey. but i've never (knowingly) had the balls variery.

Actually I have never heard of testicles refered to as sweetbreads. I've only ever heard them refered to as "prairie oysters", "frys" or just straight up testicles.

I've always wanted to try good head cheese.

Headcheese is another thing where its either so good so as to be sublime or so bad as to make you want to curl up in a fetal position. I'm exaggerating a little, but quality really does vary wildly. I think boars head puts out a head cheese thats just ok.

Together or seperately? ;)

I have had a LOT of octopus, but I am starting to actually move away from it. I dont know if it is ethical to eat something that might very well be almost as smart as I am. Thats just the hippy dippy in me speaking though.

Judging something's intelligence by it's relative brain size is silly. Anything that gets caught in a cod fish trap, over and over and over again, can't be that smart.

It does have tasty brains though.

Not so much the size of its brain but what it has proven to be able to do. Like turn dials and pull levers in complex sequence to achieve goals.

Its camo ability alone is amazing, ive seen it match a patterned floor tile as well as learni.g to unscrew the lid on a jar to grt food just by watching it be done by another octopus

What exactly does Octopus taste like (if it can be described) ? And what part do you eat ? You put hot sauce on it or anything ?.......

You eat the whole thing or you can eat just the tentacle. it's prepared in a lot of different ways in Asian dishes. I've also had the tentacle breaded and fried.

The Greeks are fond of putting octopus tentacle over hot coals and roasting until charred on the outside and tender on the inside with a little lemon, oregano and salt and pepper. It is sublime. Hard to describe the taste if you havent tasted it. Less fishy than salmon, nice firm but tender texture, a little briny saltiness from the ocean. Very... fresh and clean tasting... would you agree Newfie?

Yes, octopus tentacle Imo beats calamari easily. a nice lemon pepper breading and then dipped in ranch does not last long in my house, swmbo and the kids cant get enough. A tempura batter and sirachi sauce is my fave

Have you ever had the whole octopus that's the size of a cherry tomato? we add those to a chowder with clams, shrimp and bacon. Add potato , oninons and garlic. Making myself hungry now

Hey Sailor, if you ever do come to New York I found a recipe online for beef heart tartar. Kind of thing I could only try with a partner in crime...

We could gross out the wives. And really, isnt that what life is all about?

Hey Sailor, if you ever do come to New York I found a recipe online for beef heart tartar. Kind of thing I could only try with a partner in crime...

We could gross out the wives. And really, isnt that what life is all about?

Sounds like a very good plan to me - I don't have to sample too much Okra Mead though, right?

We are planning to do some traveling after I retire from the State next year. Like I said elsewhere, looks like we've decided Arizona is the place to be and that would be a good base to travel from. I've seen alot of upstate New York, never been to the City as an adult.

I have to admit a lot of the food mentioned in this thread sound gross. Here is a current, very entertaining, best seller on this topic:

!!!gulp.jpg

Im going to have to check that book out.

I'm not claiming you are like this, LabRat, it just reminded me of something. You added something to the conversation with the mention of the book. But the other day I was looking up a tartar recipe, and some random guy pipes up "sorry, dont think I could do it" in the comments. What was the value of doing that? A thread like this one is intended to maybe get a couple of squeemish outbursts, but not one dedicated to a particular recipe. I just dont understand how people operate sometimes.

If someone went on my cabbage soup thread, for instance, and said "that sounds horrible" Id be a little saddened.

That reminds me of a food from an old thread of mine. Chicken feet. Still yet to have them.

I've had duck feet, and they are just... bland.

If someone went on my cabbage soup thread, for instance, and said "that sounds horrible" Id be a little saddened.

I haven't had Cabbage Soup in many years, my Mom used to make some great Cabbage Soup with Sausage, the sausage was from a Polish neighbor down the road, it was a Potato Sausage. My Wife does not like cabbage - at all. She let's me get some home made Kim Chi or Sauerkraut a couple times of year. It's funny, if we do go out to eat (about once every other month) she will pick the tiniest pieces of cabbage out of her salad before ever taking a bite.

I haven't had Cabbage Soup in many years, my Mom used to make some great Cabbage Soup with Sausage, the sausage was from a Polish neighbor down the road, it was a Potato Sausage. My Wife does not like cabbage - at all. She let's me get some home made Kim Chi or Sauerkraut a couple times of year. It's funny, if we do go out to eat (about once every other month) she will pick the tiniest pieces of cabbage out of her salad before ever taking a bite.

My wife will not touch anything with the word "squash" in it.

Sailor, you should have seen her the day I suggested we make jellied eels and eat them for dinner. Is it cruel to say these things just to watch your wife turn green and use bad language? If it is, I'm a cruel cruel man.

My wife will not touch anything with the word "squash" in it.

Sailor, you should have seen her the day I suggested we make jellied eels and eat them for dinner. Is it cruel to say these things just to watch your wife turn green and use bad language? If it is, I'm a cruel cruel man.

I finally got mine to try simple fried chicken livers 2 weeks ago. Now I have several tubs of chicken livers in my freezer.

She really makes 'gack!?$#%$' faces when I eat anything raw.

pomegranate. looks interesting, but comes with a high price tag. not sure what to do with it, or if you just eat those little red things raw? I'd rather buy/consume mangoes. mangoes!

When I was a kid I used to love sitting for what seemed like hours sucking the juice out of every single little seed.

If you harvest the seeds en masse and cook in a saucepan with a wee bit of lemon juice, a little sugar and a little water and let it reduce down, it goes nicely atop grilled chicken as a glaze or similarly on a pork chop. You might want to throw a clove in there too.

The pom syrup goes nicely on icecream too or on poundcake.

Damn... Im hungry.

I finally got mine to try simple fried chicken livers 2 weeks ago. Now I have several tubs of chicken livers in my freezer.

She really makes 'gack!?$#%$' faces when I eat anything raw.

I tricked her into eating chicken gizzard once and she still hasnt forgiven me. We still have the same "argument" 4 years later. "You and your chicken stomachs" "secondary digestive organs" "STOMACHS!"

Finally figured out what mine is! Cicadas!

Our 17 year Cicada brood is this summer! Just starting to hatch....I'll be making Cicada pizza this weekend!

f19BE8mNY273C143.med.jpg

Cicada_Pizza.jpg

Finally had me some Haggis at the Celtic festival the past weekend. While certainly not bad or disgusting I won't go out of my way for it.

The one food I really really really still want to try is Mahi-mahi or Dorado.
dorado.jpg

I ate Mahi-mahi when I lived Hawaii a very long time ago ('78, '79, '80). I enjoyed it grilled or baked and a couple of times fried for sandwiches. I vaguely remember it as being somewhat Tuna or Swordfish like in texture.

Im going to have to check that book out.

I'm not claiming you are like this, LabRat, it just reminded me of something. You added something to the conversation with the mention of the book. But the other day I was looking up a tartar recipe, and some random guy pipes up "sorry, dont think I could do it" in the comments. What was the value of doing that? A thread like this one is intended to maybe get a couple of squeemish outbursts, but not one dedicated to a particular recipe. I just dont understand how people operate sometimes.

Of course I didn't take that wrong. In fact, in the book, it discusses tastes, how it works etc. It was in that book that I first thought I'd like to try Muktuk which Subsailor mentioned earlier.

CreamyGoodness said:
ya gonna hit that, liquidity? :)

Certainly would be a first. Old brick mason that worked for me use to absolutely love them. I guess I'm no Anthony zimmerman am I? I'll have to find a recipe.

Back