30 qt boil pot for partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlavas

Reaction score
I have been doing my PMs in a 20 qt pot with around 5-6 lbs of grain and a 3.5 gal boil with good success. I am considering moving to a 30 qt pot to mash more grain and increase my boil to 6 or so gals as my stove should handle a larger boil.

I'm thinking I could go to mashing 9 lb of grain in 3.5 gal and sparging with 2.5 gal for a 6 gal boil, add less DME at flame out then top off to 5.5 gal in the carboy. I'm trying to get closer to all grain...
Make sense?

I have been doing my PMs in a 20 qt pot with around 5-6 lbs of grain and a 3.5 gal boil with good success. I am considering moving to a 30 qt pot to mash more grain and increase my boil to 6 or so gals as my stove should handle a larger boil.

I'm thinking I could go to mashing 9 lb of grain in 3.5 gal and sparging with 2.5 gal for a 6 gal boil, add less DME at flame out then top off to 5.5 gal in the carboy. I'm trying to get closer to all grain...
Make sense?

Yes, that should work. I never mashed in my 30 quart pot but I did more than a few 6.25 gallon boils on my kitchen stove with it and had very good results so I know it's possible!

I have a 30qt polarware pot and I do all grain full boils for 5.5 gallon recipes. I do it on the stovetop and aside from having to watch like crazy when it reaches boiling, it works great. I do a modified BIAB and mash in my 5.5 gallon kettle. Can do 1.050ish recipes without needing extract.

Back