Stalled fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nurskyjon

Reaction score
Hi, I am brewing a belgian Tripel using S-33 yeast. I pitched yeast on 5/6/20 in the afternoon and within hours the brew was fermenting. Yesterday I noticed it stopped all together. Wondering what I should do next?
Here is the recipe:
2.5 gallon recipe
6.5 Pilsner malt
1 lb of simplicity
0.25 lb table sugar
0.25 coriander grounded
0.25 sweet orange peels
S-33 whole pack
OG: 1.080
Any suggestions would be great! Thanks this my first time on this forum and looking forward to anybodys experience.

Hi, I am brewing a belgian Tripel using S-33 yeast. I pitched yeast on 5/6/20 in the afternoon and within hours the brew was fermenting. Yesterday I noticed it stopped all together. Wondering what I should do next?
Here is the recipe:
2.5 gallon recipe
6.5 Pilsner malt
1 lb of simplicity
0.25 lb table sugar
0.25 coriander grounded
0.25 sweet orange peels
S-33 whole pack
Any suggestions would be great! Thanks this my first time on this forum and looking forward to anybodys experience.
What’s your current gravity? I usually always hit fg in 3/4 days. You’re most likely done

When you say it has stopped, what has changed? Is the specific gravity anywhere near the target FG? It's possible it could be done or close to done after 4 days, especially if fermented at a high temperature, but it's likely it still has some finishing to do. Take a gravity reading now or after a few more days and see if it's close to the target FG. If it's in a transparent fermenter, has the krausen fallen? I have found some bigger beers can start off with a very vigorous fermentation and then take some time to finish more slowly.

Here is the recipe:
2.5 gallon recipe
6.5 Pilsner malt
1 lb of simplicity
0.25 lb table sugar
0.25 coriander grounded
0.25 sweet orange peels
S-33 whole pack
Some batches finish up pretty quickly.
Keep in mind that S-33 is the old Edme yeast and is notorious for high final gravity.

I have never used that yeast, but it sounds done to me. I second the idea of taking a gravity reading.

Beersmith says 71-75% attenuation for that yeast. Weird that it is so low for a Belgian yeast.

What you should do next is brew another beer. Your Tripel is going to take some time to finish up with fermentation and then will need more time yet to mature. Making another beer will take your mind off the Tripel. Here's a good article to read about the life cycle of yeast.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

I have never used that yeast, but it sounds done to me. I second the idea of taking a gravity reading.

Beersmith says 71-75% attenuation for that yeast. Weird that it is so low for a Belgian yeast.
It's not Belgian.

When I looked it up it said it was recommended for Belgian beers even on the Fermentis data sheet.

Any idea on the source?
I don't know why it's still listed as a Belgian yeast, and I can't specify an exact source, but it's pretty wide spread knowledge that it does not act like a Belgian yeast.

I did a bit of looking around and some places list it as the Edme strain and some still recommend it for Belgian styles.
"Its definitely a British strain and gives off no Belgian characteristics," Denny Conn.

Ok, I am going to give a few days and recheck the gravity. I am concerned about the S 33 not being a true belgian yeast strain and am wondering how it will effect the taste. But, these are strange times and maybe that make a great name for this brew, "Strange Times Tripel." Thanks I will report later this week.

Ok, rechecked gravity today it is 1.020. I tasted it had a sweet favor, so I am thinking the yeast isn't finished doing its job. I not sure if I should have done this, but I stirred the yeast cake gently. I will let sit for the next couple of weeks then bottle condition until trying some for my birthday in August.

I am going to continue tweaking this recipe but next time I am not going to S 33 and go with actual Belgian yeast and see the difference.

Latest posts

Back