SS Brewtech FTSS on a corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Hassey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about using corny keg to try to do primary fermentation in but i would like to have immersion temp control with it. Has anyone heard of or tried to use the ftss coil and drill the holes in the side of the corny keg to use as temp control? It should work giving the coil length isnt wider than a corny keg. Does anyone know the dimensions of the actual coil by itself? Thanks.

It would not fit, it is to wide.

With some modification I think your best option would be to get a spare lid and drill it out with a step bit to fit the Anvil chilling unit. Their product is a simple but seemingly effective straight u bend stainless pipe that fits a carboy. It is very cost effective compared to a fts setup half the price i think.

Have you considered using a water bath? I've been using a 10 gallon drink cooler (aka Mash Tun) and doing that for Kviek fermentation in a corny. There I'm trying to hold a high temperature so I'm using a sous vide cooker but if you are trying to cool, a coil of copper wound big enough for the corny to sit inside should work nicely. I don't even have the lid on the cooler--one of these days I'll get around to cutting a hole for the keg and hole for the cooker so it can hold the heat a little better but 10 gallons of liquid doesn't heat or cool very quickly so it holds stable as-is, just uses more energy.

That's a very interesting idea. With it being a keg I would only need access to the top anyways. Hmm. I have a chest freezer right next to it so I could pump cooling water into the cooler to maintain temps. Thanks for the input to both of you.

Back