squirrel issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mink musk, weasel gland oil, and coyote urine all will keep squirrels at bay for a while. But lead poison works permanently. :D

I know this is an old thread, but for future reader's benefit:

All kidding aside about the gun thing.... a .22 loaded with shot shells is a great option. The range is about 50-60 feet. Past about 100 feet, they pretty much just fall out of the air. They also don't make much noise to upset the neighbors.

22 shot shells are a blast! Seriously though try a few of the sticky rat traps, guaranteed they will stop them. You should throw a piece of coat hanger through it to keep it anchored to the ground. Getting the bugger off is an episode of "hey Joe hold my beer for a minute" It will get a million hits on HBT!

Dunno if any one is still checking this thread, but a lot of farmers out here will use unchewed bubblegum. Squirrels will eat it and can't digest it causing their insides to blow out. Planning on putting some out since I have a squirrel eating all my oranges.

Funny I should find this thread today.....
I visited my 80+year old parents yesterday. Talked to my father for awhile and had to leave a leak - think about it ---
I go into the downstairs bathroom and sitting in the corner behind the toilet is a Red Ryder. This is surprising but not unusual for my father.
I come out of the bathroom shaking my head - look at my father with furrowed brow and remind him that normal people typically take a favorite magazine with them to read. He gets this big **** eatin grin on his face and proudly states, "I shoot the squirrels on you mothers bird feeder." "You should see em jump when I hit one."
This from the man who 50 years ago would have whooped my a$$ for doing the same thing.

I am sooooo looking forward to getting old.

22 shot shells are a blast! Seriously though try a few of the sticky rat traps, guaranteed they will stop them. You should throw a piece of coat hanger through it to keep it anchored to the ground. Getting the bugger off is an episode of "hey Joe hold my beer for a minute" It will get a million hits on HBT!

Talk about a slow and cruel death! :(

I'm all for killing and ridding the world of pests. But do it clean and fast. Not letting them starve and dehydrate over the course of a few days

Amateurs... recurve, flu-flu arrow with judo point.

Instant kill, good eats.

I've legitimately never seen a non-lethal trap, scent, obstacle, or decoy keep squirrels away for long.

A .22 or pellet rifle is actually a pretty effective way of getting the squirrels away. Sure, you'll keep them away with a decoy or scent for a few days... but squirrels learn, and they learn fast. If they want that twine, they'll get it.

Single shot .22 with CB shorts and its as quiet as high power pellet gun. Squirrels make great dog food in the slow cooker.

Single shot .22 with CB shorts and its as quiet as high power pellet gun. Squirrels make great dog food in the slow cooker.

don't have anything that can shoot a 22. short just .22 LR and its in the basement right under my landlords kitchen.

don't have anything that can shoot a 22. short just .22 LR and its in the basement right under my landlords kitchen.

You can shoot .22 short from a .22lr rifle. It just may not cycle if its a semi auto. Other than that you shouldn't have any issues

Back