Maris Otter LME SMaSH Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyskier

Reaction score
It looks like Northern Brewer now has 100% Maris Otter LME. I have tried to do a SMaSH in the past using the BIAB technique that was just OK. I need a bit of advice on how much LME to use for a 5 gallon boil (My best guess is 6Lbs). Im just looking to finish up with a nice 6% beer. Also Im going to go with a Kent Golding Hop. How much at what times? My goal is for this first batch to be a bit of a reference. Nothing to wild.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

I have a MO -Columbus smash on tap that I did about 4 weeks ago as all grain. I converted to extract and changed the hops using brewers assistant.

5 gallon
3.5 lbs extract at 60
1.5 oz east kent at 60 min (5.8% aa)
3 lbs extract at 15 min
1 oz east kent at 5 min (5.8% aa)

Target OG of 1.047

You didn't say what yeast, I used a package of Nottingham.

Target FG of 1.005. If you use a different yeast, you will get different numbers.

This gives you a around 5.8% abv pale ale. It's a little lighter in color than style, but with just MO, getting color is tough.

I dry hopped with an ounce in the keg for 7 days, after 20 days in the primary, but I like hoppy beers.

Back