Spike Solo Capacity & Recommendations???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segallis

Reaction score
I am about to convert over to an electric brewing system. My normal brew for the most recent decade has been a double batch (2 kegs plus some extra so I can age bottles for a couple of years, so about 13 to 14 gals at start of boil), and always a big beer (1.080 to 1.120 OG).

I would also like to switch to a single vessel BIAB system, if possible.

I'm looking at a Spike 20 gal electric kettle with two options: 1) use their basket for mashing, or 2) use a false bottom and bag. The difference seems to be in the dead-space. According to Spike their basket has 7.9 gal dead-space. By my calculation, a 3.25" false bottom for a bag will have about 3.25 gal dead-space.

So I estimate the basket will allow for a mash of about 30 pounds of grain max. The screen/bag will allow for closer to 42 pounds of grain max? My typical grain bill is about 40 to 42 pounds.

Does anyone have measured data or experience with this system to check against my estimates? Is 42 pounds with a bag in a 20 gal electric kettle with 3.25" false bottom doable??? Can the Spike Basket hold more than 30 pounds of grain?

My 3rd option, worst case, is stick with my 120 qt cooler for mashing and use the electric kettle as a HLT heat source for a RIMS or HERMS. I would either circulate the mash through a coil in the HLT, or use my immersion chiller in the tun/cooler and pump hot water through it (seems cleaner only running water through a coil, although using it later to cool should clean it pretty well). Then max grain bill is never an issue (even for my 50 pound barleywines), although it keeps me having to clean and store the cooler. Also, for this 3rd option I would really only need the 15 gal kettle, not the 20 gal, since my double batch just barely fits in a 14 gal starting boil (ya it's close, but I currently do this with my 15 gal propane kettle).

Thoughts???

Thanks,
-Greg

I am about to convert over to an electric brewing system. My normal brew for the most recent decade has been a double batch (2 kegs plus some extra so I can age bottles for a couple of years, so about 13 to 14 gals at start of boil), and always a big beer (1.080 to 1.120 OG).

I would also like to switch to a single vessel BIAB system, if possible.

I'm looking at a Spike 20 gal electric kettle with two options: 1) use their basket for mashing, or 2) use a false bottom and bag. The difference seems to be in the dead-space. According to Spike their basket has 7.9 gal dead-space. By my calculation, a 3.25" false bottom for a bag will have about 3.25 gal dead-space.

So I estimate the basket will allow for a mash of about 30 pounds of grain max. The screen/bag will allow for closer to 42 pounds of grain max? My typical grain bill is about 40 to 42 pounds.

Does anyone have measured data or experience with this system to check against my estimates? Is 42 pounds with a bag in a 20 gal electric kettle with 3.25" false bottom doable??? Can the Spike Basket hold more than 30 pounds of grain?

My 3rd option, worst case, is stick with my 120 qt cooler for mashing and use the electric kettle as a HLT heat source for a RIMS or HERMS. I would either circulate the mash through a coil in the HLT, or use my immersion chiller in the tun/cooler and pump hot water through it (seems cleaner only running water through a coil, although using it later to cool should clean it pretty well). Then max grain bill is never an issue (even for my 50 pound barleywines), although it keeps me having to clean and store the cooler. Also, for this 3rd option I would really only need the 15 gal kettle, not the 20 gal, since my double batch just barely fits in a 14 gal starting boil (ya it's close, but I currently do this with my 15 gal propane kettle).

Thoughts???

Thanks,
-Greg
Greg, I brew on a Spike 10 gallon system, so I can't really speak to their 20 gallon setup. However, their website shows a max grain bill of 40 lb for a 10 gallon batch.
https://help.spikebrewing.com/knowledge/what-batch-sizes-can-i-brew-on-the-solo-systemsSo it looks like you'd be covered using their basket. However, I'd reach out direct to Spike to get their thoughts on exactly what you're trying to do. Their customer service is great and may have some thoughts on the false bottom concept. In regards to the quality of their products, amazing stuff.

1 lb grain occupies 0.32 quarts when saturated (according to Promash) which means that 40 pounds of grain only adds 3.2 gallons to the overall volume. Depending on your water needed you should be good to brew with 40 pounds grain bill in a 20 gallon kettle.

I just did the same calculations for my system and figured that the worst case scenario for very high gravity beers would be that I would have to top up the water after mashing in.

Hope this helps!

Back