Spiced Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to brew a Gose, which I would like to spice with some citrus peel and food spices. All good up to here. Now the recipe and the process - being that I've never tried brewing one on my own - is where the challenge lies for me. I was thinking:

1. Grain bill - Pilsner + Wheat + Acidulated.
2. I mash the Pilsner and Wheat malts for 45 minutes.
3. I add the Acidulated malt and mash again for 45 minutes, adjusting pH to 4.5-4.6 with acid, if needed. ( I don't have CO2 at the moment :( )
4. Boil for 15 minutes, cool down to get temp. in range for lacto.
5. Sour with 1 pk. Lallemand WildBrew for 25 liters final batch size for around 24-36 hours ( I own a pH meter )
6. Boil for 30 minutes again. Add a tiny amount of hops to get 5-10 IBUs, salt, peel and spices in the last 15 minutes of the boil.
7. Cool down to 62F / 17C, pitch K-97 or US-05. I'll use 2 pks. to be sure that fermentation goes well - sour worts are more difficult for the yeast to ferment, which is why a higher yeast pitch is recommended? Is that correct?
8. Package and carbonate to around 2.5-2.7 vol. CO2.

Do the steps make sense?

Thank you for taking the time to look over this thread.

I've seen it, but I have no way of getting that renewLife Lacto or whatever he is using. I don't know if it will work with the Lallemand WildBrew, if I were to co-pitch with an ale yeast. Seeing that I don't have a way of flushing with CO2, I needed to find a method of keeping any unwanted bugs away from the wort.

I've seen it, but I have no way of getting that renewLife Lacto or whatever he is using. I don't know if it will work with the Lallemand WildBrew, if I were to co-pitch with an ale yeast. Seeing that I don't have a way of flushing with CO2, I needed to find a method of keeping any unwanted bugs away from the wort.
You don't have to use the exact same brand. You can look for any brand that contains the mos that he describes as suitable. Usually Amazon has many different ones that should do it.

You are good to go with the WildBrew Sour Pitch using the methods I recommend. :)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/
---
Q: Where do I get L. plantarum?
A: Several sources are readily available in the US: Swanson's L. plantarum capsules can be purchased online. GoodBelly liquid probiotic and Renew Life Ultimate Flora are both widely available in stores. Many are now even keeping the Renew Life refrigerated, which is awesome. Lallemand offers pure L. plantarum as WildBrew Sour Pitch. Other yeast labs sell Lacto blends of L. plantarum mixed with other species, often L. brevis (use these blends at your own risk because they are more hop-tolerant).
Store the Lacto in the refrigerator. The dry capsules will last a very long time.

Cheers

So I can just pitch WildBrew and K-97 at the same time in the fermenter, and it will sour without inhibiting each other? And then a small dry hop at the end... This sounds very easy and straight-forward.

Would I still be able to boil the wort pre fermenter ( 15-30 minutes ), just to be able to throw some salt, some spices and orange peel in? Do spices and citrus peel add any compounds that might inhibit the plantarum from souring the wort?

Last edited:
Ferment at 65°F or above so that the bacteria will be able to rapidly sour.

Boiling is perfectly fine.

No baking spices or peels will inhibit the bacteria.

Good questions!
:mug:

I have made only one gose and I used acidulated malt for my acid. Mine was a dill pickle gose and it tasted awesome. With all of the other stuff (salt, spices and citrus peel) you don't necessarily need the complexity of the Lacto. I would use between one to two pounds of acidulated malt in the last 20 to 30 mins of a 90 min mash for a 5 gal batch.

Ferment at 65°F or above so that the bacteria will be able to rapidly sour.

Boiling is perfectly fine.

No baking spices or peels will inhibit the bacteria.

Good questions!
:mug:

Great! Thank you so much for taking the time to read through and reply with your experience and insight.

I have made only one gose and I used acidulated malt for my acid. Mine was a dill pickle gose and it tasted awesome. With all of the other stuff (salt, spices and citrus peel) you don't necessarily need the complexity of the Lacto. I would use between one to two pounds of acidulated malt in the last 20 to 30 mins of a 90 min mash for a 5 gal batch.

That's kinda the process I was going to use, but if I can co-pitch plantarum and an ale yeast at the same time, then that's easier and I will try it.

Great! Thank you so much for taking the time to read through and reply with your experience and insight.

That's kinda the process I was going to use, but if I can co-pitch plantarum and an ale yeast at the same time, then that's easier and I will try it.
Let us know how it turns out! I am going to do something similar next year. Well.... Actually only similarity is the souring process...

That's kinda the process I was going to use, but if I can co-pitch plantarum and an ale yeast at the same time, then that's easier and I will try it.[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried the co pitching process, but I did read through that whole thread a while back and it looks good because the yeast and the lacto p will eat the sugars at the same time which hopefully wont allow it to get too sour. :mug:

So I've brewed 2 fruited sours on February 6th.

1st beer got a blend of spices, light and dark muscovado sugar in the boil. I boiled for like 25 minutes. OG was 1.060. I co-pitched T-58 and WildBrew Sour. On February 11th I added aprox. 4.6 Kg / 10 lbs of fruit with a dash ( 50-75 ml ) of greek pine honey - a combination of Morello cherries, red and blackcurrants and blackberries. Today I added 50 gr / 1.7 oz of Hallertau Blanc to stop / slow down the souring and took a sample of the beer. Very bright red, sour, fruity, but not overly so, a hint of spices and a hint of that " belgiany " profile ( yeast ). Final pH is 3.3. FG is 1.010, making this 6.6% ABV.

2nd beer got some lactose and himalayan rock salt in the boil. I boiled for no longer than 25 minutes, cooled down and transferred to the fermenter. OG was 1.060 again. I co-pitched US-05 and WildBrew Sour. On February 11th I added 4.4 lbs Blueberry puree, 4.4 lbs frozen organic blueberries and 250 ml Maple syrup. Today I added 50 gr / 1.7 oz Hallertau Blanc and took a sample. Much darker than the first one, a bit rounder in flavour. Final pH is 3.0. FG is 1.024, making this 4.7% ABV ( used quite a bit of lactose and mashed at 158F ).

I will be bottling these in about 3-4 days. Hopefully, they will turn out well, once carbonated and cold. But I will post pictures when ready. In the meantime, I have pictures of the samples in their respective glasses. The first one is the spiced one with muscovado sugar and the second one is with blueberries.

Red sour.jpeg
Blueberry sour.jpeg

Last edited:
Back