Sour Yeast for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haledarren

Reaction score
I just experimented yesterday on a basic IPA 5 gallon brew. I used Giga Yeast's Sour Batch Kidz F08.

I just started fermenting in my Fermzilla yesterday around noon, should expect this to not turn out, or can I ferment like I would with any other IPA that I've brewed in the past?

It won’t get sour but it will ferment... That blend has Brett in it as well. I’d leave it in that fermenter for a while or transfer it to a secondary vessel to age for a while as the Brett could/should attenuate down pretty far. Especially if you bottle. Also I’d make sure you clean everything very very well. You don’t want a Brett infection in your gear if you’re also making clean beers using the same fermenters and tubing, etc etc

What are you hoping to make?

I was hoping to make a more tropical IPA and experimented with this yeast. Day 2 of fermenting and its dark red/brown. Looks awful, trying to decide if I should dump it and start over with a more appropriate yeast.

I was hoping to make a more tropical IPA and experimented with this yeast. Day 2 of fermenting and its dark red/brown. Looks awful, trying to decide if I should dump it and start over with a more appropriate yeast.

Unless you desperately need the fermenter I wouldn't dump it after only 2 days.

Back