Hop blocker alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMortReport

Reaction score
So Im sick of dealing with the hops pellet sludge when moving the boil to the fermenter. The only thing Ive found is the hop blocker, but that is designed for 15+ gallon systems. I cant seem to find anything in the 5 gallon range. Anyone have something for me?

Hop bags is what i use. I tie them to the brew kettle handle.

ForumRunner_20130403_221828.jpg

hop spider with a 5 gallon paint strainer.

I built mine out of a hose clamp, a wooden dowel rod, and a big pvc coupling thingy. it works very well. I have an electric kettle and have never had any scorching even when the bag has rested on the element.

i attached a 12 " copper pick up tube that hugs the curve of the pot along the bottom and attached a 12 "braided toilet sleeve to that. the sleeve ends up being directly across from the ball valve. i find if whirlpool and let it sit for 30 min then add my wort chiller and cool, the chiller helps keep the sludge in place. the trick is to start out real slow then slowly open it more as it gets closer to the bottom. then as it gets real low i tip the kettle extremely so that all the liquid move toward the sleeve. its not perfect every time and it does take awhile for it to drain.

ok, beginner here...not understanding this problem. I cool the wort with my copper coil thingy and siphon it off using the siphon tube to the carboy. I don't get much trub, but I do get a little. is it that big of a deal? the kits that I assume it's important to control hops closely come with little hops bags....

ok, beginner here...not understanding this problem. I cool the wort with my copper coil thingy and siphon it off using the siphon tube to the carboy. I don't get much trub, but I do get a little. is it that big of a deal? the kits that I assume it's important to control hops closely come with little hops bags....

I don't siphon the wort. It's just something else you have to worry about sanitizing. I pour the wort through a paint straining bag. The bag keeps most of the crud out of the fermenter. Technically you don't have to worry about the hops because they will all become part of the yeast cake down the road.

I have been leery of using bags for hops. I just have this strange thought in the back of my mind that it doesn't get through the wort as well as it would just rolling through the whole boil.

And as to leaving them in the fermenter to be removed with the yeast cake, cant that add off flavors? Or at least change the hop taste of the beer? I DH a lot, but just something about boiled hops sitting in the trub doesn't sound like it can be good for the beer's flavor

Back