Plain mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsterbud

Reaction score
How does just streight up mead taste? Is it good? Can I add fruit or flavor later? If so how?

It is delicious! I just bottled a gallon of plain ol' wildflower mead. No fruit. No oak. No spice.

I don't think what I made will win any awards, but I like it, so that's what matters, right?

Traditional mead is awesome, and you can flavor to taste with extracts or racking into a secondary containing ingredients. It's also good to keep around for toning down a mead that ended up too strong, or topping off a batch to prevent headspace.

I've been using some to mix with other wines. I made a batch of Black Current/Blueberry wine and some Sauvignon Blanc from a kit. I mixed a gallon of each with a gallon of the plain ol' wildflower mead. I think I like the blends better!

My first mead was a traditional, Since then I've been doing a bunch of other varieties; However After I start my Game of Thrones Mead (For the thread), Ill be doing another traditional or two, just to see how much better I am at making it. And yes they are delicious!

How does just streight up mead taste? Is it good? Can I add fruit or flavor later? If so how?
If you're not sure/unfamiliar the just check out local liquor/wine stores. Some carry it.

Do a few small tests i.e. measure its finished gravity. Test the pH.

That'd give you some idea.

Then make some. The JAO recipe can be made using ingredients from a grocery stor pretty much. It generally turns out sweet and as long as you stick with the recipe as closely as possible then its easily repeated.

Then just search for recipes or just read the forums......

Gallon batches can be made with minimal expense!

Because to expect a proper explaination of something like flavour and/or aroma is expecting a bit much. They're relative after all.

One mans nice/yum yum/delicious is anothers bleargh!/barf!/foul.......

Back