Help with Oat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazyzbrewery

Reaction score
I am looking to make a beer that is not a porter or stout that has a strong oat flavor. I am looking for help with ingredients, ideas, recipes, and anyone who has done this before. I would like to brew a beer that has strong oat flavor with accent flavors that do not overpower the oat flavors. Any ideas ? I really appreciate any help or comments on this idea. If anyone has had success or knows someone who has with a beer like this I would like to hear about it. Thank you for the help!!

Cheers!

Just a little bump, hopefully someone out there has some ideas for a good oat beer. Any help is appreciated.

I've read you should toast the oats to get flavor--otherwise these usually impart a silk mouth-feel and not much flavor. They're almost always used to add just a little to a beer, some I'm not sure you'll find a lot of info. Definitely use a lot of rice hulls because oatas are sticky in the mash.

Thanks. I am looking into a great Oatmeal raisin brown ale I found and also a oatmeal IPA but I am concerned the hops will overwhelm the oat flavor.

Back