"Fire Control" CO2 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwalcottayers

Reaction score
I have a friend moving and he unloaded some brewing equipment on me. I usually get my tanks filled up at a local welding shop, but he told me when he tried to get this tank filled they turned him away (not sure where he tried).

Does anyone know what I can do (or if I can get it filled) with this tank that has Fire Control written on the side?

I'd recommend taking it to a fire extinguisher service company. They can usually refill as well as pressure test CO2 tanks.

wow... didn't even know they still used CO2 extinguishers anymore, thought they were all dry chemical

I feel a little more educated now and the day has only just begun

with Halon being evil now, CO2 extingisher use has risen again.

welding shops won't service them (usually), they are filled with less liquid so the pressure is lower and more gas headspace.

Depending on where you live I have a fire supply shop near me. They fill extinguishers and service tanks as well, they just slapped a sticker on mine that said co2 and filled it right up.

Thanks everyone for the response. I'll definitely be trying these and hopefully they work. If not, I guess I'm SOL.

with Halon being evil now, CO2 extingisher use has risen again.

welding shops won't service them (usually), they are filled with less liquid so the pressure is lower and more gas headspace.

That doesn't make sense. The pressure in the bottle is a factor of temperature only not the amount of liquid left.

One other point might be that "Fire Control" might actually be a company that used to own the bottle, sounds like some places are a bit sketchy refilling bottles that might not belong to you.

Back